Christmas markets in Cologne (Köln)


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Cologne
December 14th 2012
Published: January 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

It's almost impossible not noticing the Christmas markets in Cologne (Köln). There are six of them ... Each with its own character. Cologne is known for its Christmas markets. Though not our main reason for visiting the city, we definitely wanted to visit them. And, I have to admit it (though I am not that keen on Christmas markets), it was much better than expected!

The one that impressed us the most was "Heimat der Heinzel" (Home of the elves). The market is located in the heart of the Old Town and was full with beautiful stalls. We were impressed by the variety of colours and the hidden "Heinzelmännchen" (the gnomes who are said to do the work of the people of Cologne at night).

The "Weihnachtsmarkt am Kölner Dom" is located just beside the Cologne Cathedral. Against the backdrop of the Gothic Cathedral you can see more than one hundred stalls under a starlight tent.

Located centrally between the shopping streets of Cologne, you can find the "Markt der Engel". There were stars in the trees and smiling angels walking around.

In the heart of the Belgium quarter we found the "Weihnachtsmarkt in Stadtgarten". We found this one very colorful and attractive. It felt quite different in comparison with the other Christmas markets. This one was rather small but very cozy...

We also visited the other two Christmas markets. Located directly at the Rhine (and the Chocolate Museum!) is the "Kölner Hafen-Weihnachtsmarkt" and the last one is the "Märchenweihnachtsmarkt auf dem Rudolfplatz". There are about 60 huts at the Hahnentorburg. The motto of the huts was the Brother's Grimm tales.

Each of the markets has its own cup. We bought a few of them as souvenirs, so we can think of Cologne when we drink a gluhwein at home...


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.1107s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb