Ypres then a crazy car journey..


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Cologne
August 16th 2011
Published: August 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

That was a loooong drive! After leaving the hotel in Ypres we decided to drive around and have a look at some of the cemetries so we lost track of where we were...
The cemetries we visited were smaller than we expected and much smaller than the ones I have seen on the TV. Though small they were still hard hitting and sad. There were many just for "a soldier" as the identity was not known so it is lovely that they have a grave. Interesting and I hope will bring history to life for Sam as he learns about it in school.

The journey didn't start well - mostly because we didn't know where we were! We saw lots of small rural Belgian villages - interesting at first but frustrating - I kept telling Sam we weren't lost and would find a motorway soon. Map was no help as the villages were too small to be mapped!! We did eventually find a road and made good progress towards Brussels. Hadn't realised just how close to Brussels we were until the motorway ended and we went straight through the middle of the city. having nothing else to guide us we used the sun to ensure we were heading East until we got out of the other side....2 hours or so later! Think my driving was fully tested in the villages, city and autobahn though!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.335s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb