First Taste of Cologne


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Cologne
August 13th 2011
Published: August 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

No surprises this morning when a quick look out the hotel window confirmed the customary heavy cloud and intermittent rain were with us again. That helped confirm our decision to take motorways from Kassel to Cologne rather than drive the smaller country roads. In addition, our map showed a veritable labyrinth of autobahns and minor roads curling and criss-crossing around the cluster of cities that surround Cologne, so with no hesitation we turned on the GPS and set off. The motorways were very busy and it was quite noticeable from the registration plates that a vast number of Dutch people must have headed south for the summer and were now returning home. We wondered who’s left in the Netherlands.
Just over two and a half uneventful hours later we drew up at our hotel on the outskirts of Cologne, made friends with the Turkish/Dutch receptionist and with his assistance decided we should attempt a train ride into the city for a first taste of its delights. All went well and we emerged from the crowded main railway station to the awe-inspiring sight of Cologne cathedral. Impossible to fit into one photo, with probably more spires than any other great church we have seen, the exterior of this graceful building is undergoing some much needed cleaning. We decided to go inside and were astonished at the number of people filling the aisles and seats as they gazed about.
Outside again, wall to wall people tried to make their way about in the rain that was again with us. We did the ‘umbrella dance’ for a while as we looked for an undercover way to window shop, but to no avail. Returning to the railway station we saw a line-up of police vehicles presumably in preparation for Saturday night fever in Cologne. At this time of the evening the only revelry seemed to be coming from a few groups of young women in full cry who were intent on celebrating an impending wedding. There was time for a quick bite to eat, then to work out where to catch a return train, as well as a chance to train spot at this very busy station.
Tomorrow we will return using our new knowledge about the local commuter trains. Perhaps the weather will be dry, perhaps it will not, but our sightseeing will continue regardless, in the interests of bringing another blog to publication!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb