Aachen the most western city in Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Aachen
September 25th 2014
Published: September 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Aachen the most western city in Germany

We visited Aachen, the most western city of Germany which was about 57 kms west of Koln. It is a very historic town with a market place, beautiful Dom Cathedral, Town Hall and many brass fountains. They had just had a big September celebration the night before we arrived so there was a lot of dissembling of stands and scaffolding.

We wandered around its streets admiring some of the many brass statues that were interlinked with fountains. Many of the statues had mobile joints. We went into the Dom Cathedral which had a gold tabernacle in it.

We had our obligatory coffee in the gardens of the Elisenbrunnen which originated for the time when emperors and kings were cured in Aachen. Scientist found remains of monumental antique thermal baths - but also workshops from the Stone Age, in which axe blades were manufactured. It has many fountains in the front of the building.

We then drove to the 3 countries border, where Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany borders meet. There were 2 towers at different points that could be climbed. We climbed one and took photos of the views from the top. It also had a glass-floored platform which was a bit of fun walking out on. We thought that was the 3-border point but as I looked at our GPS, we were not on the border point. So we drove about 100m more and then found the official point which was well marked. We didn't bother to climb the second tower but made sure we stood on the 3 countries at the one time.



Both areas had restaurants and gardens that could be appreciated. However, it was a little windy and the temperature was dropping so we were pleased to hop back into the motor home and drove about 80 kms to Dusseldorf. We got to the camp site at about 6.00pm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb