Fall Day Out


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Aachen
October 1st 2007
Published: October 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bavarian Flag WavingBavarian Flag WavingBavarian Flag Waving

There was a lot of national pride with the German Women's soccer team winning the world cup. Emma and Abigail displayed some support waving mini Bavarian flags in front of the back side of the Aachen town hall.
I would hate for anyone to think that we have been sitting idly by letting the time pass away on our life in Belgium. While Jonathan was back in the states last week the girls and I had quite a few adventures of our own. One day we had quite the bus adventure to the indoor playground in nearby Herent. Another day we went to Brussels to the Scientastic Museum and with over 90 “experiments” the kids did enjoy themselves thoroughly. As we welcome in the month of October the girls and I had another adventure today and went to Aachen, Germany with our friend Zoe and her son Henry.

Henry had off from school today so we decided to go to Aachen (where I have never been) and do some shopping. Things are remarkable less expensive in Germany versus Belgium. We took the train to Liege and transferred from there. I should have bought the tickets on line before we left because they were significantly less expensive. To compensate I had Abigail be three for the day (no one checks and we don’t carry any ID anyways). The kids had fun coloring and eating an early lunch on the
Funny FountainFunny FountainFunny Fountain

This special fountain brings good luck to all who run the hands and toes of the characters displayed. Emma cited the results of the good luck naming off various "special treats" they had enjoyed throughout the day.
way there. We arrived at noon and from then on didn’t stop walking.

Aachen is a cute little town but there isn’t too much there besides the Dom (cathedral), town hall and some cute buildings in the old part. Zoe was there to stock up on some German groceries that she couldn't get in Leuven. It is funny how each country has different sidewalk snacks. In Belgium it is all about the waffles (or fries) and in Germany it is all about the pretzels. The kids enjoyed a few when we were in Berlin and enjoyed some more on our day in Aachen. And of course we managed to find play structures throughout the city to break up the shopping.

Came away with a new shirt for myself and each of the girls and one present to tuck away for Christmas. We also picked up the Aachen specialty, Printen cookies. The kids were all pretty spent on the ride home and spent the entire time laughing hysterically at Henry on the connection from Liege to Leuven, which was delayed by a half hour. But at least it wasn’t crying or whining! And while it rained in typical Belgian
Another PlaystructureAnother PlaystructureAnother Playstructure

A trip anywhere would not be complete without some time off to fool around. We passed by this cool structure during our shopping and the kids had fun playing on it.
fashion all day, it was a lovely fall day in Germany.


Advertisement



2nd October 2007

Super cool!
Emma looks like a throw back to the 60's with those glasses and headband on. Awesome...great pix!
7th October 2007

town travels
I know I'm not alone saying how we love your travels. I feel as a passenger on the trains and walk-abouts with you. The girls look wonderful and sooo adventurous.

Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb