Sassnitz


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Mecklenburg-Vorpommern » Sassnitz
January 22nd 2012
Published: January 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


This is my first Blog of all time, very happy to share with you some of the sites I've seen around Mecklenburg Vorpommern.

Last week we travelled from Rostock to Sassnitz which is about 2 hours by train. I had previously looked at Sassnitz for a nice location to photograph the sunrise over the Baltic Sea. After further research I discovered that there is a U-Boat museum there as well :-D Although images of German u-boats might be popping into your head the submarine on display is actually a British Oberon class sub, H.M.S. Otus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Otus_%!S(MISSING)18%!<(MISSING)/a>

The submarine is located just a short walk from the train station so no further transport is required. The temperature on this particular day was dropping close to zero and puddles were still frozen from the night before. But apart from the low temperature the weather was fantastic, a great break from the normal gloomy wet german winter days.

The entry fee is 6 euros per person with a additional 1 euro for a camera, and its definitely worth it.

Otus is in good condition and offers a fantastic view into life of a submariner. I don't recommend that anyone
H.M.S. OtusH.M.S. OtusH.M.S. Otus

One unusually beautiful day for German winter.
with claustrophobia enters the sub because as you can imagine the area is very cramped! There were only three of us on the sub at the time and I can't even begin to imagine how life on board would have been like with the full compliment of 7 officers and 62 sailors!

Anybody who has a interest in military museums will find this great, the noticeboard says you are only allowed 30 minutes but I stayed longer.....I’m seriously hardcore! Living life on the edge made me thirsty so we stopped afterwards and had some beers and Glühwein (heated red wine with spices). Unfortunately due to time restraints that was the end of our trip and it was back to the train for the return trip to Rostock.

In a weeks time we will be travelling to another submarine museum at Peenemünde. I will keep you posted!

Safe travelling :-)

Alex.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

DIVE!!!!!!!!DIVE!!!!!!!!
DIVE!!!!!!!!

Being in a submarine too long makes you crazy!


23rd January 2012

Insightful and inspiring blog.
What an insightful and inspiring blog. I was frightened by your description of how small and crowded the underwater craft is inside. It is with the greatest of anticipation that I endure the length time until your next blog.

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb