Autobahn


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Mecklenburg-Vorpommern » Rostock
November 30th 1991
Published: January 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

A couple of years after the fall of the Berlin Wall. Visiting the former East Germany. Satellite dishes are decorating nearly every balcony or window of every building. A bizarre sight on the gray concrete blocks serving as residential housing. In some areas they were quick to adapt to the western way of life. In others not so much. Apparently funding for the restoration of the road network didn't have the highest of priorities.

Autobahn in former Eastern Germany did not quite measure up to it’s Western German equivalent. Built on initiative of the nazis for speedy transports of the troops. Solid and reliable, but hopelessly outdated on some stretches. The one between Rostock and Berlin was one of these bumpier parts. Bump, bump, bump. Every 50 or so feet, a bump. The bus ride would probably be smoother if it tried the adjacent crop fields. But that was then. By now a series of the infamous German road construction works should have improved this link between the capital and the Baltic Sea. But back then...a bumpy ride.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.491s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 65; dbt: 0.2446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb