Scheesel - where the hell is Scheesel? - Berlin

Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Lower Saxony
October 5th 2015
Published: October 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post


Gaste Gasthof
By train from Amsterdam to Scheessel with a couple of changes at Osnabruck and Bremen. About three hours. Lyn had some seminars to attend in the Scheessel area arranged by an agent in New Zealand. We were there along with 6 others from various schools in NZ - Kapiti College, Tauranga Girls, Kamo HS, Wellington High, Rutherford College, Freyberg HS.

We were staying in the Gaste Gasthof, a small privately run hotel in the small town. It was well set up with big, reasonably modern rooms and a good breakfast provided. Scheessel is out in the country about 40 minutes north by fast train from Hamburg. Unfortunately we didn't get into the hotel on arrival at after 7.00pm as the agent who'd picked us up at the station wanted to take the group immediately to a local restaurant because it was getting late and they were hungry. Fair enough, so were we but it would have been nice to have been able to drop our bags and freshen up quickly. We finally were able to stow our stuff in our room at 10.30pm

Apparently I snored loudly and, as added insult, Lyn's phone rang at 3.00am - someone in
Verden tourVerden tourVerden tour

Some of Lyn's colleagues
NZ trying to sell her something. That pretty much wrecked her sleep for the night.

The education fair set-up was at a local high school in Verden in the evening where Lyn et al would be with all their promo material and would talk with interested local students and their parents. Before all that the NZ agent, who is German, had organised a tour of the town of Verden and lunch. She'd hired a van and 8 of us got into that and drove 40 minutes for lunch at a quite upmarket restaurant followed by the tour of the old town and the NZ teachers then got organised for the evening. I left them at that point and traveled back to Scheessel by train and shanks's pony which ultimately took over three hours as I had to go via Bremen, wait for a train, then walk from the station back to the Gasthof. Meanwhile Lyn's evening was going rather slowly with not too many takers turning up. She eventually got back to the hotel at 10.45pm by which time I was well in bed and, if not snoring, certainly near to it.


Next day, up early, on the train to Hamburg, a 30 minute wait then a train to Berlin (2 hours). The Berlin Hauptbahnhof is new, vast and alive with travelers. Escalators to five levels and 1000's of people going E,W,N,S into and out of the city. We got a taxi to the Holiday Inn, which turned out to be new and impressive for a low mid-range place. We had plenty of room and it was light and airy. Stashed our stuff and got a train from Warschauer Strasse to Alexanderplatz then a bus to Brandenburger Tor, the Brandenburg Gate. Wow! We'd hurried because the German company that was organising the Berlin Education Fair had arranged a river boat cruise in the morning, which we had missed, and a walking tour of the Reichstag building in the afternoon which we just made. A great tour with an informative guide. Much history. We ended up in the Reichstag dome with bubbles in the rooftop restaurant and spectacular panoramic view of the city.

That evening Lyn met a past German student at HVHS for dinner while I stayed in and blobbed.

Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7



Local church

Reichstag area

Reichstag and dome

Inside the dome

Tot: 2.553s; Tpl: 0.045s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0344s; 2; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb