The mighty Rhine


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Wiesbaden
May 4th 2008
Published: May 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After returning to the Frankfurt area last night, we left this morning for the Rhine region, albeit at a more relaxed pace then the last few days in the former DDR. Our destination was to be Rüdesheim, a town along the Rhine not too far from the city of Wiesbaden.

Upon arrival there, it was pretty obvious that it was Sunday and that there was not a cloud in the sky. People lined the main street while cars and a never ending line of motorcycles crawled by. The town centre is very touristy by German standards. A seemingly neverending maze of cobblestone alleys and squares all lined with shops and restaurants await visitors.

The town site is at the base of a gently slopping hillside that is almost entirely covered by vineyards. We took a Gondola to the top of the hill for €4.50 and made our way back down via the countless switchback trails.

Once we had done all our exploring, we stopped for some ice cream. The town really was busy with visitors from all over; many foreign languages could be heard, including English with a distinctly American accent...

Today, we were accompanied by our
MonumentMonumentMonument

Overlooks the Rhine from the top of the hill
host, my uncle, and by his girlfriend. My 2 cousins from Germany also came with us, and it was sure nice to chat with them a little, considering this was only the 2nd time I had ever met them. My cousin Sandra now lives in the UK and flew in on the occasion of our visit. Andy, the other cousin, lives nearby. He was nice enough to drive us around today and his love for the Autobahn became quite evident during the trip to Rüdesheim!

Once we got back to home base in Bad Soden, it was time for dinner at a restaurant with my Grandma. Upon our return, we kept busy preparing our luggage for the second phase of our adventure: we fly to Antalya Turkey tomorrow. We'll be heading to Frankfurt airport around 4:00PM in order to catch our 7:00 flight. There are some tight weight restrictions on luggage on our flight (thank God just on the luggage) so we had to pack carefully. Before heading for the airport, we will take in some last minute shopping with Sandra.

Not sure when the next instalment will be, as from here on in, we will be relying
TravellersTravellersTravellers

At the base of the monument
on internet cafe's to blog from. Our first day on the bikes will be a tough one: 600 km. Poor Erin...



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

CakeCake
Cake

"Kuchen" is a mid afternoon staple here
PorschePorsche
Porsche

Kevin, this is for you!
Dinner with GrandmaDinner with Grandma
Dinner with Grandma

My cousins and I with our Oma


5th May 2008

Articulation
Well, upon retirement may I humbly suggest writing as your next profession. Really enjoying your descriptive writing style, could only image you doing a book next!
5th May 2008

Great Blog
Hey guys, Sounds like the trip is going as planned. I'm excited to hear about the next leg. I wish you safe travels on the bikes. Thanks for all the great writing and photos. Its great to read about your trip as you travel.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb