University, the Lahn and the Schloss


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Marburg
June 20th 2013
Published: June 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I am not a nuggetI am not a nuggetI am not a nugget

On wall outside Studentenhaus of Philipps University
Marburg is a great place to walk about - both on one level and up and down crooked, cobbled paths. After sleeping through our jet lag we greeted our first morning in Marburg with a typical German breakfast of breads, cold meats and cheeses. Across from our hotel is a lift which transports people up to the Aldstadt (the old town). A walk through a passage from the lift opens out to a street with charming old (17th and 18th C) shopfronts and cafes. Nearby is the Markt (town square) with the Rathaus (town hall) where a cock, somewhat feebly crows every quarter hour atop the clock tower. A ten minute walk in the beautiful sunshine, along a steep cobbled path brought us to the top of the old town and to the Schloss (castle) originally built for the Landgrave family in the middle ages. We went early morning and were able to look down on the slated rooves of the town below and wander around the surrounding park in peace and tranquility. All but the twittering of the birds and the scurrying of the squirrels up and down the shady oak trees could be heard.

Elisabeth is the main
"Oberstadt""Oberstadt""Oberstadt"

Street in the upper city or old town
historical figure here. She married into the Landgrave family and after losing her husband at about 21, devoted her life to caring for the underdog. So much loved and revered that she was canonized after her death in early 13th century. She also had a cathedral built for her (supposed to be the oldest Gothic protestant cathedral in Germany). It has a magnificent modern organ above the entrance (2 euros 50 will get you in to see it).

Philipps University (founded in 1527) is in Marburg and a wonderful youthful atmosphere of learning and fun pervades. Lots of activity around the Lahn river - swimming and paddle boating und diving! Small but pretty botanical gardens also here. Half a litre of beer costs equivalent to about $4.50 Australian - quite cheap.

Second day we walked through an old area called the Weidenhausen. Old houses with colourful rose briers - a very pleasant walk. Then we walked to the Red Star Bookstore (Left-wing bookstore opened in 1969) and had a wander around and chatted to a chap who worked there, who advised us to visit his home town of Lubeck (which we intend doing) on our way towards Copenhagen.
"Oberstadt""Oberstadt""Oberstadt"

Example of 17th/18th C "Hessische" building
Ended our day with a traditional meal at the Ratsschanke restaurant directly next to the Rathaus. On to Kassel by train tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

"Rathaus""Rathaus"
"Rathaus"

Historic Town Hall in the Marktplatz
"Landgrafenschloss""Landgrafenschloss"
"Landgrafenschloss"

Gothic ad late Gothic with renaissance additions - much of it now belongs to the University.


21st June 2013

$4.50 for a half litre of beer isn't that cheap! You can get a 500ml can of German Oetinger beer here in oz for $3!

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 37; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb