Kassel, Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Kassel
October 17th 2004
Published: June 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Destination: Kassel, Deutschland
Day: 1

It was a weekend and kindda bored so me and a small group of friends went to Kassel using the Schoenes Wochenendes Ticket. It is a ticket for a maximum 5 person for 24 hours to anywhere in Germany and cost just euro28. So just euro7 per person. Kassel is a small town and famous for its mountain park and the magnificient Herkules Monument, a castle on top of the mountain.. The journey took 3 hours and 2 changes using train.

We reached there in noon and had our lunch, which is always Burger King. Then, we search for the Information Centre because there was no information available from the internet. The Rathaus (City Hall) just beside the Information Centre is grander than in Duisburg. Then off we go to the Herkules, a 40minute tram and bus ride. It is weird as Kassel seems to be in Autumn compare to Duisburg. The leaves around was already in yellowish colour.

As soon as we step down from the bus, one can feel the coolness on this small hill. It was very very cold. The castle is in pentagon shape and the arch is the Herkules monument. It was a 1700s building so it is build entirely by big block of bricks. The special thing about this small castle is the waterfall and stairs heading downhill. The weather was still very cold and we took photographs as we slowly walk downhill.

We walked through the woods where it was so 'autumn'. Leaves are yellowish and cold breeze around. There was a small lake down the hill. First time experiance real autumn, which is quite nice. As we reached down, one can see the monument from another view. Too bad the man-made waterfall was closed that day. There were more people around at this time as the weather down the hill was much moderate. Surely it will be very beautiful when there is snow covering the whole hill during winter.

A big museum is situated down the hill, just opposite the big lake and a round-roof small house. More photographs and then off we go, back to the town. As it was quite late already, we just walk round the town centre. The town is not as crowded as Duisburg, as all shops are closed on Sunday. At 7pm, we started our long journey home. So bad luck! A lot of trains were delayed and as a result, we needed more than 5 hours to reach home. Tiring....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb