My German Christmas - Day 1 Frankfurt


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Frankfurt
December 21st 2007
Published: January 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I visited Germany 3 times (July 2004, May 2005 & May 2007), but all these 3 times occurred in the summer and I haven't visited Germany in the winter. After seeing all the photos and videos about German Christmas markets during my German lessons, I decided to make a trip to Germany and see the Christmas markets with my own eyes.

The first stop of our trip was Frankfurt. We took a half-day leave / off from work and went to Heathrow Airport to catch our afternoon flight to Frankfurt. However, there was a delay at Heathrow because of runway congestion. (Well... A LOT OF people were trying to depart or land before Christmas.) By the time we reached our hotel in Frankfurt, it was already 8pm. After visiting the toilet and tidying ourselves, we made our way to the Christmas market in Römerberg. To our surprise, the staff at the hotel reception told us that the market would close at 9pm. It was already 8:30pm, so we immediately rushed to Römerberg. We managed to reach the market at 8:40pm and we managed to experience 20 minutes of Christmas atmosphere... (The Germans are really punctual. When they say the market closes at 9pm, they really mean it.)

In the market we managed to grab a few pretzels, had a serving of Bratwurst or Currywurst, and bought a big bag of Magenbrot. After the market closed, we walked towards the Zeil, the main shopping street of Frankfurt. Luckily, several shops remained open until 10pm, so we spent the next one hour browsing in the shops and escaping the cold bitter winds outdoor. At 10pm, we walked to Konstablerwache station to catch a S-bahn back to our hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Red light district...Red light district...
Red light district...

(This photo was taken right outside our hotel... Luckily our hotel is quiet and peaceful.)


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb