Georgia - a rainy day in Hamburg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hamburg
January 3rd 2017
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 53.5534, 9.9922

Today was freezing cold and rainy. We decided to start the day by heading into Hamburg and going to the Emigration Museum.One of the things that brought us to Hamburg is that Grandad's grandfather emigrated to Australia from Hamburg's port, so we were very keen to learn more about what it was like for the German's emigrating to all across the world. We enjoyed a lovely morning stepping back in history!
We then headed into the centre of Hamburg, stopping at the Emigration church where Great-great-grandad probably stopped at. It was really interesting to see how the Lutheran churches are different to ours. It was set up more like a concert hall, with the chairs and rows numbered!!
We then drove right into the centre of the CBD, struggling to find a park for our massive van! We stopped for a Indian curry for lunch in a shopping centre - a much needed change in diet!!
We then went for a tour of the Rathaus, which was an unexpected bonus. We hadn't realised what a rich history Hamburg has as a Hanseatic State.
We then returned home for a quick rest and then headed out to dinner. The restaurant in nearby Lauenburg was delicious, a enormous serve of steak, bacon and potato!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb