German Adventure


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hamburg » Hamburg
February 23rd 2015
Published: February 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

2-23-15 began day with plans to take a boat ride on the lake in the city center (Binnenalster) and walked down but the boats were not going because not enough people wanted to ride (was Monday, not tourist season, overcast) so we decided to walk around the lake (2 photos). The art museum was closed on a Monday, so we sat in a nice café overlooking the lake and had coffee and read our nooks for a bit. Basti picked us up at 1 pm and we went to a shopping mall that, except for the signs being in German, looked like any American mall. (in Germany, you can shop with your dog! photo). We all had lunch at a Thai restaurant. We went to a store to buy a shirt for Preston with a German soccer logo on it, and it turns out that the sport club is called: Hamburger Sport-Verein, and often goes by its initials. However, as you can see, that might raise some eyebrows here (photo of a little infant suit--not what we bought for Preston). After, we went to Stephan's home and had snacks and very nice conversation!

To add a little more info to yesterday's blog: Ballinstadt museum is dedicated to the history of Hamburg as a major point of emigration to the new world. It is a very nice museum. Of course many nationalities from Europe emigrated from Hamburg, but there was a special emphasis on Germans who left. There was a map of all the towns in the U.S that had names of German towns, and interestingly a part of a German language newspaper published from Lincoln was displayed (photo).


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb