Two-night visit to Berlin, Potsdam


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin
August 7th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Berlin CathedralBerlin CathedralBerlin Cathedral

Built by the Kaiser in 1904 to give Berlin a church to match the iconic structures in other European capitals.
Geo: 52.51, 13.381

Finally got onto an Autobahn driving the 3.5 hrs from Hamburg to Berlin. We drove at 120-130kph but were regularly passed as if we were standing still. Often in sections of roadworks the "fast" lane was restricted to a width of 2.1m, and in one case 2m (according to the warning signs). Pretty scary passing meandering trucks in that narrow width, even at only 60kph or so.

Did a terrific four-hour walking tour of Berlin in 35 degree heat this afternoon. Our guide, Taylor, is an Aussie who has lived here for six years. He was incredibly knowledgeable about Berlin/German history and was very skilled at communicating his knowledge. We found the tour (and hotel) via TripAdvisor - it hasn't let us down yet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Berlin Wall remnantBerlin Wall remnant
Berlin Wall remnant

12 ft high with a concrete roll at the top to make climbing it difficult. The Wall is now almost completely demolished and its previous location is marked by a pair of cobblestone lines, set flush with the ground.
Memorial to the Murdered Jews of EuropeMemorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe
Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe

This consists of 2,711 concrete plinths, of equal dimensions but varying heights. Memorials for gypsies, homosexuals and others murdered by the Nazis are planned.
Brandenburg GateBrandenburg Gate
Brandenburg Gate

At one end of Unter den Linden - the "Champs-Élysées" of Berlin, with the Royal Palace at the other end. Napoleon stole the statue at the top. When the Prussians got it back they modified it and renamed it "Victory", and also renamed the platz it overlooks to "Paris". Victory over Paris - petty, but the games politicians play.


24th August 2015

Love Berlin - shame it was SOOO hot.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb