Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin
September 8th 2015
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.5235, 13.4115

Arrived in Berlin at 1:40 on September 7 after a two hour flight from London. Spent the next several hours locating our room (would have been an hour trip for most folks here). Using German household equipment was a walk down memory lane. Windows open two ways, etc. All of it is a good deal more sturdy than available in the US.

The weather in England was quite poor. We received some rain every day except when we went to Portsmouth, which was a beautiful day. Yesterday was similarly beautiful here as is today, and warmer. Temp had been in the low to mid 60's. Perhaps 70 or so now.

Last night we had a government sponsored tour of the Reichstag (Parliament). It was delayed as there was a demonstration in favor or allowing even more refugees from the middle east and also a counter demonstration. Seemingly more polizei (police) than demonstrators. At one point they refused Sheila entry into a sort of mall, obviously as she so resembles a radical. The more normal appearing Fred saved the day for her.

At any rate the Reichstag was just okay. We include a night picture after the tour, which makes it appear a good deal smaller than is actually the situation.

A super night's sleep followed this. We had several days of four or so hours a night and so this one of seven or eight hours was wonderful. At any rate when we finally dragged ourselves out of bed and toured Berlin.

First stop was Berliner Dome, which is Berlin's Cathedral. Not very old by European standards. While a church has stood on this site since 1536, this edition was completed in 1905.

We walked through some of downtown Berlin (both east and west before Berlin was reunified) before arriving at Checkpoint Charlie. Not a particularly impressive site today, being situation right in the middle of a busy street. Near this area is a part of the Berlin Wall.

The Brandenburg Gate is a mile or so west of the Checkpoint. This was constructed 1788-91, and is perhaps the monument most identified with Berlin.

We pick up a car




Advertisement



8th September 2015

Glad you rescued "Bird" from the crowds----sounds as though there has not been a bored moment--all so beautiful and historical ---keep having a fun time and keep sending updates!! Feel as though I am right there with you
8th September 2015

Yes that is my radical sister. Can't take her anywhere. Fred they are going to need you to write a guide book everything is so through. I am enjoying the ride.
9th September 2015

Fred, That H M S Victory was a wonderful ship/// We are learning more history . Sounds like much fun.. Now in Germany many year later what has changed the most ? keep on going on Tim
9th September 2015

Okay, Sue and Tim, we are so happy we got a message from you ---Helms and I are trying to get into the "21st century" with all the modern technology--not quite sure how to send you all messages--but just know we love you guys--and are certa
inly enjoying Sheila and Fred's journey through Europe--just wish we were with them--and would love to see you guys soon
9th September 2015

english food is atrocious

Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb