Merry Christmas Markets!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
December 9th 2009
Published: December 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello there, hope your all keeping well.

We've been spending a couple of weeks enjoying the delights of the German Christmas Markets.
They really do Christmas well over here.....the smell of roasted almonds is in the air, lights are twinkling everywhere and you get to snuggle up under warm blankets with piping hot Glühwein in your hands.....

I collected Jaime from Hamburg Airport on the 24th November and we whisked off to Berlin early on the 25th. That lovely sister of mine let us borrow her car and 4 hours later saw us arriving in an area called Grünau 40 minutes from the centre of Germany's capital city.
Our hostel left much to be desired, especially as far as precious commodities such as toilet paper are concerned, but it was place to sleep and had a rather nice lake view.

It was freezing cold, but we bundled ourselves up in hats and scarfs and ventured to our first Christmas market on the Alexanderplatz in central Berlin.
I'll let the pics speak for themselves, but we had a lovely time eating our way through all the yummy food stalls and choosing christmas gifts from the craft markets. We also visited some of the tourist hot spots of course such as the Brandenburger Tor, Holocaust Memorial and Reichstag.

We also visited the Berliner Zoo on a very wet and grey day...but we got to see the famous bear Knut and some other fab animals....Jaime's photography is amazing as always and captures the animals magically.

Next on the list were the Hamburg Christmas markets. Set with wonderful backdrops of the Alster and City Hall lights were twinkling once again and the Glühwein soon had us feeling in the christmas spirit (the non-alcoholic version for us of course)

And then it was time for Lübeck....famous for the Lübecker Tor and its fab Marzipan treats.
An even colder day, but no less filled with christmas cheer and lots of yummy treats.

All in all, a lovely experience recommended to anyone with a good set of thermals and a warm hug available on demand 😉.

xxxd


Additional photos below
Photos: 72, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.123s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb