Tempelhof on Referendum Day!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
April 27th 2008
Published: April 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tempelhof is one majestic airport! Despite mishaps on the way over (diversion to Cincinnati on account of Dulles weather, Dulles delays, lightning strikes over the Atlantic disabling video, unhelpful Brussels Airlines representatives, etc.), you couldn't ask for a better arrival spot into Berlin, and the weather was fantastic. Pulling up under the immense hangar cover at Tempelhof (THF) is too cool. We took our time in and around the airport, viewing spots where Roger used to work, live, eat, and go to the movies. The main arrivals/departure hall is grand; towering ceiling and columns. The granite stonework all around the airport is great. The scale of the outside of the buildings is massive.

Results from the referendum online this morning show that fewer than the requisite 25% of eligible voters participated, so I think that means it is likely commercial service into the airport will cease. We are very lucky to have flown in under such great conditions!

Rest of the afternoon was a walk past Checkpoint Charlie, up to Freiderikstr., along the Spree, past the Museum Insle, over to the Berliner Dom, then cafe and dinner.

More later. Eric



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.102s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb