Wednesday 29th in Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
May 29th 2019
Published: May 29th 2019
Edit Blog Post

As per usual, John was up early to catch the light and walk the mostly empty city streets. He covered the walk to the Brandenburg Gate, the Reichstag, the government center, and everything in between. What fun to see these sites without the crowds or traffic.

Then breakfast and planning for a day of museums. First it was a visit to the Berlin Dom, which we walked by last evening. What a beautiful dome, and what a spectacular and huge organ! Wish we could hear it being played. John attempted to go up to the catwalk around the dome but quit after many steps and a narrow stairway … and dripping with sweat. Got some good views out of dirty windows but perhaps another day. Walking across the street to the Altes Museum of antiquities we enjoyed visiting the Greek, Roman and Etruscan sections. There was even a timeline of collections on one wall, with the start of the museum dated to be 1638. These Germans are dedicated to collecting! Peggy was in her element, loving the museum air, as can be seen from the picture below.

After a few hours we wandered through Humbolt University, stopped for some water and a beer and then proceeded to Galleria Lafayette, the Parisian department store, just to see what the Berlin version looked like. Just as spectacular. We enjoyed a late lunch at Gendarmerie Hauptstadt Restaurant. Their lunch special was pike on risotto or lamb sausage with French fries. We got one of each and both were terrific. The fries were more like thin potatoes with a crispy outside. How come they don’t do that in the US?

Nice casual walk back to the hotel for a little rest (John for the third and last time went out into the street on a RED “do not walk” sign). Love these signs.



After a refreshing rest, it’s back to the museums and Museum Island. This time it was to complete our visit to the Nueus Museum. We had stopped briefly to look at the Nefertiti bust but now wanted to visit the entire collection. We started with the iron age, traveled through the Heroic age of Thebes and Troy to the bronze, silver and golden ages. Not sure if this is an accurate depiction of the galleries we visited, but there were plenty of tools, swords and silver and gold objects to enjoy. When we finally arrived in the Egyptian section the bell went off to denote closing time and we missed at least three galleries. There is always tomorrow.

Stopped for a beer and G&T on the way back to the hotel, as well as a very light dinner of asparagus soup and gnocchi. Every menu has some kind of asparagus starter. Great choice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb