Incredible Day on The Deutsche Alpenstraße


Advertisement
Europe » Germany » Bavaria
February 18th 2012
Published: March 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our time in Oberammergau would end this morning. I think we could easily find a week's worth of things to do if we stayed in this area: the Royal Castles, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, the Zugspitze, Oberammergau itself, Wieskirche, Steingaden, Landsberg, Fussen and the country roads leading in and out of Austria. That retirement trip through all the places we want to visit again in Europe might tak... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 87, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

That's Some Serious Snow!That's Some Serious Snow!
That's Some Serious Snow!

How do these roofs support all that snow? Often we saw homes with close to 3 feet of snow on top. On a warm day like today it had to be soft and wet and very heavy. This was taken in the middle of the ski resort country and snowpiles were over ten feet high.
Back Into GermanyBack Into Germany
Back Into Germany

After leaving the Inn River valley we passed through Lofer, Austria. I had remembered a quaint little market village with old buildings and a couple of touristy shops on the route, but we saw nothing but a built-up modern town with far too much traffic. We zipped around the congestion and once again marveled at all the traffic coming from the opposite direction. After comparing gas prices between Austria and Germany we deduced the Germans were flocking here to save the equivalent of a buck a gallon.
Taking in the Majesty of the MountainsTaking in the Majesty of the Mountains
Taking in the Majesty of the Mountains

We weren't even in the high Alps but I was still overwhelmed by the sheer hugeness of the surrounding mountains. I'm sure you can't even see their peaks 300 days a year but we were fortunate enough to see their immensity as we drove on what seemed to be our own private road toward Ramsau. There was nobody out in this corner of Berchtesgadenerland.
This is What I Remember the Poconos Looking Like 50 years AgoThis is What I Remember the Poconos Looking Like 50 years Ago
This is What I Remember the Poconos Looking Like 50 years Ago

Somehow the Germans have kept this section of Bavaria pristine and free of hotels, restaurants and strip malls. The few buildings we saw were farms and most of them advertised rooms for rent. That's the way to do the cheapest German vacation possible.
There's That Red BMW 128i Convertible AgainThere's That Red BMW 128i Convertible Again
There's That Red BMW 128i Convertible Again

I got out by myself to take photos in the shade of the high mountains. It felt good to stretch my legs, but even though I had someone sitting behind me and couldn't slide my driver's seat all the way back, I was never uncomfortable. This car was such a joy to drive.
Two Interesting SignsTwo Interesting Signs
Two Interesting Signs

Almost as soon as we drove from Austria into Germany the sun stopped shining. Part of it was the increasing cloud cover and part was the imposing height of the mountains. Now I was getting cold hopping in and out of the car with no coat on. At this stop I wanted to show the orange and black pole that notifies the Johnny-on-the-spot road crews where the edge of the road was. The Germans have the main roads cleared before the snow stops unlike here where they wait until the snow ends to start plowing. The yellow sign tells military vehicles how much weight or how fast they can go over this stone bridge. A remnant of the days when US Armed Forces were all over this part of Germany.
What a NerdWhat a Nerd
What a Nerd

I didn't realize Gail was snapping me as I was snapping her and the car on my IPad along a cutoff on the Austrian-German border. Needless to say, we had the road to ourselves. Just a little further up the ascending hill road were gates that could be lowered when the mountain pass has to be closed because of snow.
I Simply Love This PlaceI Simply Love This Place
I Simply Love This Place

If I ever won the lottery this part of Germany would become my home. It's got everything I like - beautiful countryside in Summer and Winter, friendly people, great food and drink, easy access to the rest of Europe, intelligent approach to the environment and government, and safety from crime and natural disasters. Too bad it would cost you a fortune just to live a middle class life here.
Why Not Just Say "Kein Abfall"?Why Not Just Say "Kein Abfall"?
Why Not Just Say "Kein Abfall"?

"No Littering" would make more sense, but the Germans are a wordy lot. And it is a cute little sign. "Stop! We take our garbage with us - and You?" After 3 days my high school German is coming back.
Continuing On Into RamsauContinuing On Into Ramsau
Continuing On Into Ramsau

Since it was on our way to our Pension in Schonau, we made a quick detour through Ramsau to visit the oft-photographed country church there.
Statue Next to the List of the War DeadStatue Next to the List of the War Dead
Statue Next to the List of the War Dead

On the metal plaque behind the stag is a list of all the village men killed fighting in both World Wars. The number killed in 1944-45, the last months of the war, is staggering. Many were apparently brothers or fathers and sons.
They Really Do Pack Them in HereThey Really Do Pack Them in Here
They Really Do Pack Them in Here

There was barely room to walk through without stepping on someone's earthly remains. Like everything the Bavarians do with wood, these grave markers were works of art.
It's Merely a RentalIt's Merely a Rental
It's Merely a Rental

With very limited space for burial in Europe they only keep you buried for a short time. After a generation passes they dig up your bones and cremate them or if you're rich they make your family pay to upkeep your grave.
View in the Opposite DirectionView in the Opposite Direction
View in the Opposite Direction

I always feel a little creepy traipsing into the local graveyard taking pictures. Had anyone been there paying their respects we wouldn't have intruded, but the place was absolutely dead today.
This Is the Reason We Stopped HereThis Is the Reason We Stopped Here
This Is the Reason We Stopped Here

Maybe the most famous cliche in European photography. Everybody takes this same picture. It's a winner.
The Church is Behind You LadiesThe Church is Behind You Ladies
The Church is Behind You Ladies

Considering how popular this old bridge is for aspiring photographers, wouldn't you expect them to put guard rail on both sides? How many tourists fall in the creek every year?



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.5mb