Nationalpark Berchtesgaden


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria
September 21st 2011
Published: September 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Lake KonigsseeLake KonigsseeLake Konigssee

With St Bartholoma (church) visible.
After a champagne breakfast to start the day on a great note, we caught a local bus to one of the most popular places in Nationalpark Berchtesgaden - Konigssee (lake). The lake is 602m above sea level, 8km long, 200m deep and the most pristine lake in Germany. Its emerald green, clear waters are simply stunning. We took a ferry ride on the Konigssee to the furthest point of the lake. Here we did a hike (approx 6km return) to Lake Obersee and around its shores to a waterfall. The views were simply breathtaking - amazing alpine lakes with snow capped mountains in the background every direction you looked.

After the hike we caught the ferry back to Konigssee and then caught a cable car up Mount Jenner. The cable car took us to 1800m above sea level, well into the snow. Again the views were just spectacular - they would have been even more amazing had it been a clear day.

Overall - we have loved this sleepy little village in the Bavarian Alps and will be sad to leave tomorrow. Whilst the history here is sobering, the beauty certainly out-shines any evil that took place here many years ago.

Pedometer reading: 21,385


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

View of Mount WatzmannView of Mount Watzmann
View of Mount Watzmann

From our hotel balcony - slightly clearer view today!


Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb