Back to Bavaria to see Olaf and Nuernberg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria
April 9th 2008
Published: April 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It was a lovely drive back through the Alps as the snow from the night before was still delicately hanging on the thin branches and we had blue skies. It almost didn't matter that we almost missed finding our way to the castle again. After we had crossed into Germany, there were signs pointing to the castle with the direction toward Austria again, and for this reason, I felt I must be misreading... so we continued. Signs came up again, but they kept changing names, sometimes Koenigsschloesser and sometimes Schloss Neuschwanstein.

Anyway, we found it. It was a nice walk up the way, but we misunderstood the tour booking which meant we had to hang around an hour longer outside. Oh well, more gluhwein.

Next it was onto Nuernberg to see an old diving student and friend of Vivi's. After a speedy arrival due to Vivi's expert navigation to find Olaf's flat we were soon out on the town. By request for something traditional we ate at a large beer cellar (www.barfuesser-nuernberg.de); very typical fare and reasonably priced. I went for the special tasting Sauerbraten, braised meat that was marinated in a vinegar concoction. After dinner, Olaf wished that we go for a Guiness... what else?

The next day Vivi and I lazed around the flat and surfed the internet then joined Olaf for a kind of brunch at a student hang out; a good choice. After touring around the old town some more, we were picked up by Olaf and toured to the old WWII parade grounds. We then stopped for some tasty food at the Strandhaus, which has a beautiful view across the Dutzendteich to the Coliseum; the ominous structure where many Nazi rallies were held. My bold pizza topping combination was getting the most attention by the others however... I never seem to get the "rules" on pizza toppings. To end the evening we went to a Franconian beer house. No music, simple decor and good local beers served in metal mugs. Prost!

It would have been nice to stay longer, but early next morning we were up to drive the three and a half hours back to Frankfurt Hahn airport.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb