World Championships 2010 - Day 1


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Schwangau
May 10th 2010
Published: May 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hanggliding legendHanggliding legendHanggliding legend

Organiser Benno Osowski (left) introduces hanggliding legend Mike Harker (right).
Yesterday, we had the Opening Ceremony of the World Championships. All the nations proceeded up the road to Tegelberg and went into the marquee that they set up especially for the Worlds. There were some speeches, one of them by organiser Benno Osowski, one by the mayor of Schwangau, one by the local District Administrator, and one by the chairman of German DHV. There were two pastors praying for good Worlds. The children from the local elementary school sang two most lovely songs, one of them in Bavarian. And there were two dancing groups that danced for us, one of them with traditional Bavarian dances. The highlight in my opinion was that hanggliding legend Mike Harker was there, which was a complete surprise to me, and he will be here during the entire comp. For those of you who don’t know him: He flew off the Zugspitze in 1973, which generated a lot of interest in the sport. After that, he opened flight schools, and he contributed a lot to making hanggliding popular.

After the opening ceremony, there was a party (of course, with traditional Bavarian music 😉). I saw Achim, a local hangglider pilot I had met after I
Opening Ceremony 1Opening Ceremony 1Opening Ceremony 1

The Austrians had the biggest flag of all teams.
had just started hanggliding. It was in 2006, shortly after Christmas, and I was on holiday for a couple of days with my mum not far from Tegelberg. The Hopfensee, a lake not far from Tegelberg, was frozen. We were just sitting in the car, when I saw a hangglider come in to land. And believe it or not, he landed on the frozen lake. I told my mum to stop and have a look. So I walked onto the lake where Achim had just landed. He had come from Tegelberg, and he had intended to land on the frozen lake, with a pair of ice skates attached to his keel. So after flying, he went ice skating on the frozen lake. How cool was that?!

This morning, the weather did not look good at all. Tegelberg was covered in clouds, and there was a lot of rain. Still, we decided to go up the hill and see if it would be possible to set a task. Getting everyone up the hill was a challenge. Only about one third of the pilots had taken their gliders up the hill yesterday, so we had to take two thirds of 62
Opening Ceremony 2Opening Ceremony 2Opening Ceremony 2

Children singing songs for us, one of them in Bavarian.
gliders up. There is only a cable car. And one cable car cabin can’t take more than six gliders. So it was really a logistical challenge to get all the gliders up the hill. We got everyone up in time, but then, suddenly, there was not a rush any more. Conditions did not look good. So we made the women rig their gliders first as there are only 21 of them. We thought there might be a chance to get them off the hill in a short window of good conditions. We waited until almost 12:30, then Heather, the meet director, decided to cancel the day because the actual conditions did not look good, and neither did the forecast. So everybody packed up. And she had made the right decision. When we caught the cable car back down the hill, we were completely covered in clouds, and it was pouring with rain. Now, I’m sitting in headquarters again. Will load some nice pics up for you!

By the way, Rebi uploaded many nice pictures and videos on the DHV Home Page.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Opening Ceremony 3Opening Ceremony 3
Opening Ceremony 3

Bavarian traditional dancing group
Opning Ceremony 4Opning Ceremony 4
Opning Ceremony 4

Dancing group that is not so traditional ;-)
ReunionReunion
Reunion

Genia and Julia from Russia were all happy to see Ashanta from Switzerland again.
View from the rampView from the ramp
View from the ramp

These conditions were about the best we got all day.
Andreas & TimAndreas & Tim
Andreas & Tim

The two youngest members of the German Rigids National Team.
Claudia & ReginaClaudia & Regina
Claudia & Regina

... from the Colombian and the German team.
Waiting...Waiting...
Waiting...

Tim and Andreas are having fun.
EckiEcki
Ecki

German Team Doctor
Ute, Carole & ReginaUte, Carole & Regina
Ute, Carole & Regina

Ute and Regina are from the German team, Carole is from the Swiss team.
FlipFlip
Flip

Former FAI President, now here as FAI Jury Member
The girls are setting upThe girls are setting up
The girls are setting up

... just to derig again a few hours later.
Day 1 is cancelledDay 1 is cancelled
Day 1 is cancelled

Weather man Volker, Safety Officer Olli, Meet Director Heather
Organisation at launchOrganisation at launch
Organisation at launch

Pilots have to put their base bars down onto these numbers while they are waiting for launching.
Glider storageGlider storage
Glider storage

... on top of Tegelberg


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb