Two Days in Rothenberg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Rothenburg ob der Tauber
August 21st 2014
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 50.3118, 11.7712

Each morning, we would have breakfast in the hotel/pension. Very good. Fresh fruit. Bread. We normally would grab an apple and/or orange to have with us to snack on during the day. We slept in and didn't start breakfast until 8am, then we headed into Rothenberg to explore the city by 9am. We got there before the tour busses started to arrive. You could really tell a difference when the buses would unload the tourists. We ran into lots of folks, many from Japan and Korea. Glenn was asked to take a photo of these 3 ladies from Israel. Jewish ladies. And we walked away, thinking, wow, just 50 years ago, Jews wouldn't dare step foot onto Germany soil. We enjoyed just a leisure walk, taking our time as we walked around the walled city, and then back into the city center. We stopped and got me a souvenir spoon, then sat down at an ice-cream shop and got the "spaghetti" ice-cream. Delicious. All the way, we were leisurely enjoying the morning. We looked up and saw lots of potted plants and flowers on the window seal. All the housing were unique. Note the photos I've enclosed. We stopped at a corner bakery, and our first question would be "English?" Glenn got 1 apple strudel, a pretzel and a chicken sandwich. We had our water bottle from the hotel, so we continued walking down the narrow cobbled streets. We walked to the edge of the city and over-looked the ravine. At about 2pm, we decided to walk on the Walled part of the city. Then we walked up into the tower to overlook. That was gorgeous. We also took a 30 min. walk through the Kathe Wohfahrt Christmas Store. It was filled with everything Christmas. The trees, nativity sets, everything German. We decided to sit down on a park bench and watch the world drive/bike/walk by. Here we had our sandwich and apple we got off of the breakfast buffet. We drove back to our hotel room and took a good 2 hour nap.

We had learned about a Night Watchman's tour that met at the city center at 8pm. The cost was minimal, but it was well worth it. We learned about the city of the medieval city and the customs. There were about 75 English speaking folks that took the tour. Very very interesting.

After having a hard time finding our first hotel, I then got on line and looked for options at our next location. Near Fussen, Germany, down here the Austria border where the famous Cinderella Castle of Neuschwanstein Castle. This was on our bucket list for sure. I found a pension near Fussen in the farming community of Hopferau.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



19th November 2014

What a charming place!

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb