Day 5 - Rothenburg ob der Tauber


Advertisement
Published: May 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Leaving the great town of Wursburg we set off south on the Romantic Road to Rothenburg some 100km away and arrived at around 3.30pm. Rothenburg is a walled town with most of the streets so small our Fiesta looked large in comparison, and with only the GPS to guide us we headed through the tiny gated entrance and found the hotel, problem, where to stop to find out where to park the car. Answer, park slightly on the footpath and partly on the road, makes sense yes? Well not to this particular German gentlemen pushing a wheelchair, who as soon as I got out of the car started to abuse me for blocking the footpath, to be fair he could not quite get the wheel chair past the car so I suggested politely that he may like to go around our car as there was nowhere for us to go, we could not back up and not move forward, cos he was in the way and definitely not moving, so folks now I know the German word for asshole....... arschloch! I politely returned the compliment and walked off into the hotel. Getting the car parked and after checking in we took we took a stroll around this very quaint little town with churches and buildings dating back to around 1200ad. Guess who we saw strolling done the street? Our new German friend, pushing an empty wheel chair with the patient briskly walking beside him chatting merrily away. Hmmm, methinks the wheel chair is a ruse to beat queues and get special treatment, not uncommon we have found in our travels, so again after swapping compliments we headed back to the hotel. So after a wee siesta we took another stroll and returned for dinner of Schnitzel and sausage and sauerkraut, god sauerkraut is awful. Tomorrow we walk the battlements and go to the dungeon to see the museum of crime and torture under the Town Hall, how appropriate, maybe even climb the tower for the great view of the town.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



9th May 2014

Memories of Rothenburg
Lovely to see your photos, took me back to my short stay. Sorry that you seem to bump into aggro people. I found everyone so pleasant and helpful everywhere I went.. Not once did we receive any nasty comments. Never mind, it can only get better. Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay there. I walked the ramparts, loved it. Did it in the evening as we only had one night there, would have loved to stay a couple more. Enjoy !!!
10th May 2014

Loving the blog, it sounds like you guys are having a great time. Glad to hear you learned a bit of German, dad. Had a good laugh while reading that. Those photos are amazing, mum.

Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0815s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb