The tourists in the high castle


Advertisement
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Passau
May 2nd 2018
Published: July 24th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We slept in an extra half hour and didn't take breakfast until 8:30. No need to explain how much I enjoyed it. There was only one other couple in the breakfast room. It's the custom in Germany to walk into the breakfast room and say “Guten Morgen” to the group in there. Everyone does it and no one even looks at you when you say it. A weird custom that I always forget to do when I enter the roo... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 84, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

I'm not sure what's going on above the high altarI'm not sure what's going on above the high altar
I'm not sure what's going on above the high altar

To me it looks like Predator and Gandolf watching two musicians spin on a spit. It seems rather out of place in this beautiful old building.
Here's what we came forHere's what we came for
Here's what we came for

This is supposed to be the world's biggest pipe organ with 17,974 organ pipes, 233 stops and 4 carillons. However there is some controversy here as the First Congregational Church of Los Angeles claims to have over 20,000 pipes. Maybe Passau can claim the biggest Catholic church pipe organ.
Time for a sip in the cloistersTime for a sip in the cloisters
Time for a sip in the cloisters

Just outside the cathedral was a large cloisters area with this multi-fauceted fountain in the center. The water was crystal clear and very cold so I cupped my hands and took a long drink. Alas, no miracles. My feet still hurt.
I would love to have one of theseI would love to have one of these
I would love to have one of these

It's an electric van with just one seat.
Finding our way back to the parking lotFinding our way back to the parking lot
Finding our way back to the parking lot

Getting back to someplace familiar via the steep narrow alleys of old Passau was easy thanks to the Uno cards I cleverly dropped as we hiked up to the highest point of the city.
Much busier tonightMuch busier tonight
Much busier tonight

The parking lot was full tonight. I really didn't park my brand new car next to anyone else but we had no choice.
Back in KellburgBack in Kellburg
Back in Kellburg

Before going to dinner we walked next door to take a quick look at the little church attached to our Gasthof.
Monument to those lost in World War IMonument to those lost in World War I
Monument to those lost in World War I

This stone scroll was attached to the tiny church. The list is long but nothing compared to the scores killed during the Nazi regime.
Left over from EpiphanyLeft over from Epiphany
Left over from Epiphany

"The letters have two meanings. First, they represent the initials of the Magi — Caspar, Malchior, and Balthazar — who came to visit Jesus in His first home. They also abbreviate the Latin phrase, Christus mansionem benedicat: “May Christ bless the house.” The “+” signs represent the cross, and the “20” at the beginning and the “18” at the end mark the year. Taken together, this inscription is performed as a request for Christ to bless those homes so marked and that He stay with those who dwell therein throughout the entire year."
A much more interesting altarA much more interesting altar
A much more interesting altar

Compared to that weird Sci-fi altar in St. Stephens' this one in Kellburg chapel was far more tasteful and inspiring. It amazes me that no one was within a hundred yards of this place with the unlocked front door.
The World War II FallenThe World War II Fallen
The World War II Fallen

Almost 75 years after the end of the War the locals were still respectfully remembering those soldiers killed in battle.
First of two markersFirst of two markers
First of two markers

Even a quick glance at the list shows how hard hit some of the Kellburg families were because of the reign of Hitler.
Dead and missingDead and missing
Dead and missing

The names after "Vermisst" are those listed as missing in action. Most likely they fell in Russia during and after the war. The untold story of WWII was that of the millions of German soldiers murdered by the Russians after hostilities ceased.
Kellburg bell towerKellburg bell tower
Kellburg bell tower

No need for an alarm clock with this thing going off first thing every morning. No doubt the local farmers use it to get started on their chores each day.
Just what I neededJust what I needed
Just what I needed

A tall cold one on a rather warm early May evening. Since we were back at the hotel and our driving for the day was finished we could afford to let loose. By the end of the night I believe we each had four.
My dinnerMy dinner
My dinner

I can't resist the courses with wild mushrooms over in Germany. As much as I love the white asparagus the forest fungus is my favorite. I only hope that whoever is picking it knows what they're doing. Mine was exquisite along with the little pork steaks.
Another order of German mac and cheeseAnother order of German mac and cheese
Another order of German mac and cheese

Gail went with the old standby and ordered Käsespätzle for her dinner.
My bedsheets were ready for me tonightMy bedsheets were ready for me tonight
My bedsheets were ready for me tonight

Thank God we didn't have to search for linens tonight. After all that walking in the heat, that big meal and lots of beers I was dieing to crawl into bed. Even the rambunctious group in the Biergarten below couldn't keep me from quickly dozing off.
Looking out from our hotel room balconyLooking out from our hotel room balcony
Looking out from our hotel room balcony

The party was still going on down below when we decided to turn the lights out on a great day.



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb