Notorious Nuremberg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Nuremberg (aka Nürnberg)
July 26th 2014
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 49.4505, 11.0805

We have now left the Danube and are sailing along on the Danube-Main Canal, a huge man made canal connecting the two rivers. There are many huge locks on the canal and on two occasions we were actually sailing over a road on an aqueduct. The scenery is not as pretty as on the Danube as factories have sprung up because of the access to transport. However there are still long stretches of woodland and agriculture.

Our stop today was in Nuremburg more famous for its modern history than it's medieval. We saw where Hitler made his speeches and had his huge parades. There is one huge structure which looks like the Coliseum in Rome but is larger and could only be the work of a megalomaniac. It was meant to be completely clad in stone and have a glass roof and be the site of huge propaganda parades for Hitler. Fortunately the project was never finished and is now a warehouse. Appropriately the next stop was the building where they did the Nuremburg trials of the Nazi war criminals.

After this slice of modern history we went back in time to see Nuremburg Castle, which is an impressive building in terms of fortification. From here you can walk down the cobbled streets to the town centre which has lots of antique shops as well as Durer's house. There was a huge food fair taking place in the main square which contains a beautiful Gothic fountain. It was time for a beer before heading back to the coach for the trip back to the boat- a memorable day.

The evening was rounded off nicely by some local opera singers who came aboard and gave a really excellent performance of light opera and Sound of Music songs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



28th July 2014

Have a good time, I have enjoyed many a beer there. My dad went there but just circled above and then went home!

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb