Day 3: Nuremberg Excursion (Apr 2017)


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Nuremberg (aka Nürnberg)
April 15th 2017
Published: May 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, 15th April 2017

With the Bayern Ticket on hand, we hopped on to the "Munchen-Nurnberg Regio Express Train" which would bring us directly to the city of Nuremberg in 2 hours. One thing that strike us deeply as we exit from the train station building was its medieval feel of the old town. Directly opposite the station was the imposing Handwerkerhof, a shopping area focusing on crafts. We didn't stop to peep as we strolled along the main Konigstrase thoroughfare towards the river where the Christmas Market was.

The busy street was lined with hotels, many cafes and shopping opportunities. The crowd was thick on a Saturday. We stopped by at one of the ice-cream stands for dessert before heading to the market for sausages. The landmark Pfarrhaus Lorenzkirche Church was a focal point within the old town with street entertainers grabbing the attention of shoppers as they made their way through.

Our main purpose to this city was to visit the Dokumentationszentrum Reichsparteitagsgelände. This was an imposing building and museum where the Nazis held their mass rallies. Like all the WWII museums we had visited over the past few days, the exhibits were really interesting and they could easily swallow up most of our time. There was even a viewing platform where good views of the rally grounds could be had. The final section was devoted to the Nuremberg Tribunals, where the war crimes were trialled in 1945.

From the museum, we took an early train back to Munich, stopping by at the station shopping mall for dinner before heading back to Aloft for an early rest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb