2018 Bucharest to Amsterdam


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Nuremberg (aka Nürnberg)
July 30th 2018
Saved: May 24th 2020
Edit Blog Post

July 30, 2018. Nuremberg. The first stop on our Nuremberg tour was at the Zeppelinfeld, originally the spot where one of Count Zepppelin's airships landed, thus Zeppelin Field. In 1933 and 1934 it became the rally grounds for the Nazi party. Later Albert Speer designed the stone stands and the Grandstand which had a large swastika on top , famously blown up by the Allies after the war. https://taskandpurpose.com/history/watch-u-s-army-blow-giant-swastika-nazi-germany. We only saw the central building and some of the stone steps for seating, the grand colonnade is gone. Next was a scenic drive to the center of the old city, passing parts of the medieval wall en route. We were taken to Courtroom 600 at the Nuremberg Palace of Justice where the Nazi leadership was tried for war crimes, now a museum. Then on to Nürnberger Hauptmarkt, a large public square that usually has an open air market but it was undergoing renovation. Facing the square is the impressive 14th century early Gothic church, Church of Our Lady (unfortunately closed) with its delightful clock, a 1536 addition. At noon the clock comes alive with the ringing of bells and then mechanical elders parade in front of the seated Holy Roman Emperor's image while others play musical instruments. Our timing was good so we saw the whole show. Group lunch was on the square, a typical sausage, kraut and beer affair. Nearby is St. Sebaldus Church, medieval, a mixture of Romanesque and Gothic styles. It was really impressive with its patterned brick vaulted high ceilings, stained glass windows and great medieval sculpture. Later the group was bussed back to the Congress Hall, next to the Zeppelinfield. It is the largest preserved Nazi building, a large horseshoe shaped structure resembling the Roman Coliseum on the outside, it would have had a huge enclosed arena with seating for 50,000 but was never completed. One end houses the Documentation Center Museum which documents the rise and eventual defeat of National Socialism.


Additional photos below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 23


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

1st May 2020

Nuremberg
What a great trip down memory lane! We went back and and looked at our pictures from that day. Similar church pictures. We ended up at a different restaurant for lunch that day as all the seats in the main restaurant were taken. The one we ate at had great food too but much less crowded. In the afternoon we went to an old old cemetery packed with all sorts of above ground tombs, often covered in old symbols like skulls and crossbones. Thanks so much for sharing yours- stay safe!
2nd May 2020

Nuremberg
I remember lunch. You guys did the right thing by eating elsewhere, it took us far too long to be seated and served. Stay well.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb