Day 8 - ICE Train to Munich


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
January 9th 2014
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 48.1391, 11.5802

Today we rose early for our last breakfast in Berlin. We spent a little time outside taking last photos of the TV Tower and hotel, before calling a taxi to take us to the station.

Berlin Station was much easier to negotiate than Prague's. As we again had first class tickets we were able to use the Deutsche Bahn lounge and enjoy snacks and complimentary coffee, wifi and newspapers. The lounge attendant showed us where our platform was for our train to Munich.

It was a long train ride, slightly over six hours, but very enjoyable. I am happy that we chose to spend the very little extra on first class seats. We walked through the second class carriages and they were much, much more crowded, and far less room for luggage storage. Definitely money well spent.

We again had lunch in the train restaurant, this time I had a salami, cheese and bread platter - with wine of course!

Once we arrived in Munich, we decided to catch the s-bahn as Isartor station was apparently right next to our hotel. It was surprisingly easy to switch trains, even with all our luggage. It was only three stops to Isartor station so we were there quickly. Unfortunately the escalator was out of order so had to drag my far too heavy suitcase up a long flight of steps 😞

At the top of the steps we could easily see our hotel, the Torbrau, which is apparently the oldest hotel in central Munich. We checked in and were very happy with our rooms, they were small but beautifully appointed.

My review on Trip Advisor can be found here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g187309-d201931-r195625282-Hotel_Torbraeu-Munich_Upper_Bavaria_Bavari.html

After a quick unpack we went for a walk along Im Tal to have a quick peek at the Marienplatz and the Glockenspiel. We then returned to the Torbrau for a glass of wine in the hotel restaurant, Schapeau. This restaurant had the best, most helpful waiter we have ever met in our lives, he was fantasic. The restaurant was pretty good too, and nice for a drink with a pianist tinkling away in the background.

Dinner that night was just a short stroll away at Weisses Brauhaus, a typical Bavarian style restaurant. I had a lovely pork cordon bleu, served with spaetzle, which was a kind of egg noodle. Nice, but a little heavy for me.

Back to the Torbrau for a good nights sleep before our day exploring Munich.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1128s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb