Oktoberfest Rundown


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
October 2nd 2006
Published: October 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We drove down to Ingolstadt and rented a hotel room there because they were a lot cheaper than staying in Munich even at a hostle. We cheked in there around noon and then got on the train to Munich. When we got off the train we simply followed the people in leiderhosen (I have no idea how you spell that). Once we were there we found the beer gardens but we couldn't figure out how to get beer. There was no way we were getting inside them because aparently Germans start drinking at 8:30am! There was no room outside at the tables either. Finally we asked a German girl if she spoke english and she did. She told us to just grab a waiter or waitress and tell them how many beers we wanted.

Once we got our beer we heard english and decided to make friends. First a German police officer asked me if I spoke English and I said yes but I had to explain that I didn't speak the German he wanted for translating. We were trying to help these two guys from the US who were studying abroad in Italy and Spain who had made the trip. They were nice guys and thought that the boys were it on a stick for being in the military and defending our country. When they finally left they gave us a twenty euro bill and said the next round was on them and said thanks for fighting for our country.

Then we wandered around some more and got some more beer and ran into two guys who traveled from the states just for the weekend. One of them works for an airline so they got a good flight rate. We chatted with them for a while and then another soldier came over with his German girlfriend. He is from a different base but we were all drinkin and having a good time!

They have these cookie things that they make necklaces out of that say "ich libe dich" (I love you) and Jer boght me one, they are so cute! We ended up back at the train station about 11:30 or so to catch the last evening train. We met some other Americans who were in going all the way back to Italy that night and another guy who is an american reporter for a small newspaper who was covering Oktoberfest. I don't remember where he was staying. Overall it was a good trip with a few bumps in the road but I had a good time.

Lessons learned on this trip:
1. You must go to Oktoberfest for more than one day
2. Beer and train rides with motion sickness don't mix
3. If you get mad while drunk don't throw your cookie on the groundm, it is a waste of cookie


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



18th October 2006

nice hats!
So why is no one else wearing hats like yours?

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb