Day 31 - Munich


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
August 1st 2015
Published: August 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Up reasonably early as we have a train to catch at 1030. Breakfast where we catch up with a few of the group and also John and Jane. More farewells. Eat and then go to Skype Jessica, Stephanie and the kids. Sitting at a desk sort of out of the way, we get to chat with Jessica, Pippa and Stephanie. Charlie is doing Lego with Chris and isn't interested. Eventually he comes in but has a sore ear following his swimming lesson. Not happy so we don't get much there. Pippa tells us she is doing dancing. Stephanie took som ballet slippers and leotards up for her.

As we chat, the Barossa clan pass by saying their final farewell on the way to the coach and airport. We get them on Skype with the others as well so their races match the names for the girls now. Finish Skype, up to the room and then check out. We are leaving 1 bag at the Hilton until we get back for the next tour, even though we aren't coming back to Stay at the Hilton. What they don't know won't hurt them......

Into a taxi to the other side of town for the train. Easy drive and not too much. Plenty of time so wait and watch. Train arrives, but only half if it. Our half is coming from Budapest and has been delayed. They run 1 long train,my hen split it at Linz with one half going to Munich and the other to Innsbruck. Eventually our carriages arrive. Decided in first class reserved seats. Good choice. There are 2 others in our part of the carriage. Off we go, then the conductor comes along to check and stamp tickets. Now there is only 1 other in our carriage. The other dude got moved on very smartly. We also get a €3 voucher each for the restaurant car.

It isn't long before I notice the speed - 230 kph, and very smooth. Nice. The countryside slips away, Chris slips away to sleep and I start the search for a hotel room (free wifi on the train in Austria). Pick a room, criteria was not too far from station, close to the city centre and obviously not outrageously expensive.mthink I might have found something that sort of ticks all those boxes. Called the Cocoon hotel. It is a refurbished place with retro furniture (cocoon chairs, etc) and not too expensive. Finally get to Munich and off the train. Walk in the direction I thought google maps had given, ok, maybe not. Eventually find the hotel. It is as described, in an area that isnt too flash, but not too bad either. Reception is good and they have my booking. Up to the room. Once we work out the lift door needs to be pushed out to open......

Room is cosy (small) but we are only here for 2 nights. wander downtown, and it is really quite close to the city centre. Lots and lots of people wandering the streets as well. Never seen so many burkas in the one place. Find what is I think the town hall with a special clock that does all sorts of things. Didn't while I was there but there were lots of people around so it must do it at some stage.



Wandered around a bit more then found a huge market area and Lo and behold, a traditional beer hall/open area where there were lots and lots of people on benches at tables drinking bloody huge beers. When in Rome - ok, get a half litre beer, the litre looked a bit big. Sat at a table and drank amongst the hordes of people there, many in traditional lederhosen - hmm, leather fetishes maybe......

Found the way back to the hotel and now for some dinner. Lots of eastern type cafes around here (Lebanese, etc.) might try for something a bit safer I think. Ask the receptionist and she says to stay away from the ones close to the hotel (in the dodgy area of town) and gives me a traditional German food house just up the road, along with an area she eats in not far from here which has a choice of little places.

Chris has decided to stay in the room and sleep, travel bug has caught her a bit today. I opt for the little places area and wander through the city to find it. Eventually find the described area and there are a few interesting and busy places. A Vietnamese restaurant takes my fancy. Lots of people and a few tables empty. Ask for a table and get the usual "have you booked". Nope. Scratch heads, then "can you be done by 2015". Only if you feed me in time, of course. Get the English version of the menu and order. Beer arrives and soon after the food comes. Very nice and similar to our fave place at home, Tien Dat. EarIng done and back to the hotel. Chris feeling better after a sleep, so I leave her and go back downstairs to check internet and have a nightcap.

I thank the receptionist for her advice and ask for a beer. She recommends a beer from a boutique brewery, quite nice and not expensive so all in all, a good choice all round. Accomodation reasonable considering the area and recommendations all good.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb