So near...and yet


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
June 25th 2006
Published: July 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at our relatives' place in Munich early Saturday morning, in good time to prepare for the match at 5pm that afternoon. A few beers were inbibed in preparation for the main event later on, and so we headed off for the stadium, in an extremely packed S-Bahn train.

When we got there, lo and behold there was no record of our tickets, nor of the security man we'd gotten to know in Stuttgart, so we went away somewhat saddened, but really only with confirmation of the scam we'd known all along.

Then I remembered that I'd managed to get a rather nice photo of our 'FIFA Friend', and also had his mobile number which I'd previously reached him on, so we decided to file a report with the police.

We were taken in, through the security surrounding the stadium, and into the police station under the pitch. As we waited to be seen, we had the bizarre experience of listening to both national anthems and the cheers following both German goals in person.

Having filed our report, we were inexplicably let loose within the stadium in order to make our own way back out. During this time (and as much because we couldn't find an exit for some while) we managed to go right up to some gates overlooking the pitch and watch a bit of the match. Henrik Larsson missing a penalty was the main action we got a glimpse of - my old Celtic idol in probably his last match ever...at least I got to see him just the once!

We left the stadium to find my cousin and his family in a bar at the stadium station just in time for the 2nd half. Amazingly (scandalously, really), the darlings at FIFA had decided that the little bar not 20 mins from the pitch would not be allowed to show the game live, so we had to sit and listen to the remainder of the match on the radio. At least they hadn't forced the bar to sell any of that Bud crap!

Post the game, there followed a steady stream of pissed-up Germans (and similarly drunk if unhappy Swedes) into the bar, singing and moaning. We decided to stay for a while to enjoy the atmosphere and revel in the days' events before heading back to town to enjoy Argentina v Mexico and a midsummer night's bonfire in the countryside surrounding Munich.

As I said before - I love Germany!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb