Last day in Munich


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
July 20th 2012
Published: July 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Shelled GratoShelled GratoShelled Grato

Everything you see is made of shells
Today we got up earlier than the day before for breakfast, hoping to get a head start so we could see more stuff. But, we had a few technical difficulties. Elizabeth and I found out about this theater that was performing Hairspray and decided it would be fun to go see the performance that night. All went well picking out our seats online, but when we tried to purchase them of corse everything was in Deutsch! I didn't want to buy them and then discover I had to print them out (which I can't do with my iPad) instead of picking them up at the box office. So I tried to get the lady at the front desk to help me- which long story short took forever and I ended up having to go get them at a ticket stand in the train station a few blocks down. So our plans for the rest of the day got a little delayed.
After that we went to the Residenz Museum which was the primary palace of the Wittelbach family and toured their Very long palace, full of extravagant rooms with beautiful paintings and fascinating furniture. There was one beautifully carved cabinet with inlays of all different sorts of metals that had forty drawers (many were hidden) to store valuables and hide important belongings. We also saw the treasury (the crown jewels) which was amazing and very shiny! Oh BTW, the Whittelbachs were favorites of the Pope because Bavaria was the last bastion of Catholicism before you got to the heathen protestants uprising across the northern part of Europe. Therefore, they were constantly getting gifts from Rome in the form of relics. You know, St. Peter's jaw bone or a piece of wood that was supposed to be from the cross. In fact, Munich has more relics than any other city in the world besides Rome. The most interesting one I saw was the mummified remains of an infant that was the victim of King Herod's decree to kill all the children under two years of age right after Jesus was born and the wise men neglected to stop back by and tell the king what they'd found.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb