Camp Munich


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
August 26th 2011
Published: August 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After a 22 hr ferry ride that has caused us to develop a phobia of ferries we caught our first night train which had us bunked with an American guy from Atlanta. With little clarity on where our final destination was going to be he talked us into checking out the cheap campsite/hostel that he had been staying at in Munich. We arrived at 6 am and followed him through the city and arrived at "The Tent." This hostel was basically one giant tent with around 80 bunk beds in it which was just another first for us on this trip. This place had a kind of peaceful hippie loco locals vibe to it and we met a ton of super friendly fellow travelers who made our stay in Munich one of our favorites. We spent the first day hanging out at the tent and experiencing one of the famous beer gardens in the city where they served these keg sized personal beers. Humorously enough we once we sat down we looked to our right and saw a 40 lbs 9-year old 2 handing one of these giant beers over a few pretzels with his parents. Only in Germany. The following day we and a couple of others we met made our way to Dachau which is one of the famous concentration camps not far outside the city. This was an eye opening experience for all of us because the actually severity and brutality of the holocaust had never been fully appreciated until a few hrs at this camp. The detail and reality that was displayed here was enough to keep you there for a day. Though moderately depressing we all agreed it was something we had to see. That night we picked up our tetra packs of cheap wine and kept it relatively quiet by just hanging out around a bonfire at the camp. The next day we made our way to the train station and figured out our route to Prauge. With a few rail passes left to use up before returning home and our country count exceeding double digits were just trying to see as much as we can in our final few days. Also our team has now added a couple Danish girls from the camp that were heading the same way. Count down to Canada is on.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb