Oktoberfest


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
September 25th 2010
Published: August 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Opening Act
"Ein Prosit, ein Prosit
Der Gemütlichkeit
Ein Prosit, ein Prosit
Der Gemütlichkeit.

After the band plays this song, everyone raises their glass and says,

"Oans, zwoa, drei, Gsuffa" and drinks.

Oktoberfest, Munich. Days of drunken silliness and endless frivolity. Adam and I joined Alli and Dan for the festivities. We spent many, many hours standing on the seats within the Augustiner, Lowenbrau and Hoftbrauhaus beer halls, dancing and singing along to the Bavarian band and joining in with the hords as this toast was made hundred of times. There was much clinking of steins and several breakages-at one point, an entire stein split in half, such was the vigour with which the toasting was done!

Intermission
Pork knuckle. Sauerkraut. Roast chicken. Beyond the lure of beer, the rest of our time in Munch seemed to involve partaking in good wholesome Bavarian treats. Admittedly, food appreciation paralleled the amount of alcohol consumed. After a few steins Alli discovered 'the best chicken in the world' (which she ate with great gusto and enthusiasm) and Ads has never been happier to munch on some pork knuckles in all his life. Equally, hot chips and hot dogs seemed to satisfy all. Happy times.

Finale
On our final afternoon I am walking through Munich Hoftbanhof with Adam, Alli and Dan who after a lovely day in some of Munich's best beer tents, are more than a little pickled. They are all vehemently denying their drunkenness, despite the fact that Alli is weaving side to side as she makes her way through the underground, Dan has put on the 'Kirby pace' and is walking at a 100 miles an hour (while Alli repeatedly yells at him to slow down) and meanwhile, Ads is giggling like a little girl who's had too much raspberry cordial. 'Who's the drunk one?' Dan teases as he watches Alli stumble up the escalator. No sooner has he uttered these words when he then promptly mirrors Alli's stumble. The two of them pick up their argument again about who's the drunkest of all ("Not me. I am the number 1 most soberest" insists Alli) and I am left almost wetting myself with laughter.

Ah yes, these are the scenes that stay with me as I remember a fabulous weekend in Munich sharing in Alli's 30th Birthday celebrations. Cheers to good times in great company.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb