Boring glockenspiels and sad Dachau


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
March 2nd 2010
Published: March 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 2.3.2010 day 140
Boring glockenspiels and sad Dachau
Today we went in to Munich the capital of Bavarian. One of the main tourist attractions we were told was the glockenspiels in the centre of town that only happens once a day in winter at 11:00 am so we got there in time for that. The glockenspiel is in what is called the new town hall which is 100 years old but made to look about 300 years old and the old town hall is next to it. But the old town hall was boomed in the WWII so was re built in time for the Munich Olympic Games. So the old town hall is now newer then the new town hall. While we waiting for the glockenspiels they were setting up for the home coming of the German athletes from the winter Olympics’. We though the glockenspiels would go off then the clock hit 11 am but it turns out is it not connected to the clock but someone come and turns it on so it starts at 11 am give or take 10 minutes. The glockenspiels goes off for about 15 minutes for the first 6 minutes there is just noise it is supposed to me a tune but the bells are so bad you cannot make it out. The bells were sent away a few years ago to be fixed but they came back just as bad. Then there is about a minute where the fingers move around and then another 7 minutes of music. It is the most boring tourist attraction that I have seen on this trip. We later found out that it is rated the second over rates tourist attraction in Europe and the other one was like this one only longer that is why it was rated number one. We then had a look at some Bavarian castles including King Ludwig II. We wanted to go to Englischer Garten one of the largest city parks in Europe and were 100’s of locals sunbake naked and it has bear halls in it but as it was snowing and very cold it was too cold for us to go and we did not think we would find any naked sunbakers so we just went for a drive past.
We then drove to Dachau the town and the Concentration camp of the same name. When I first when in I was blown away by how larges it is and the remaining part of it is about 1/6 of the original size of the site. This concentration camp was set up within 2 months of when Hitler came to power in 1933 and was the first of many that Hitler set up he used this one as a model to set the other ones up on. It was also a training centre for SS, where recruits were indoctrinated into a system which encourages the torture, humiliation and killing of prisoners. The camp was liberated in 1945 12 years later by US forces. More than 200,000 people were sent there and more than 30,000 died there most in gas chambers that you can still walk though and then the bodies where incarcerated and the ashes were put in holes in the ground. There were no graves. Some people were hung in the rooms where they where shovelling bodies in to incinerates so that could see what happened to their friends. They did very cruel experiments on the inmates and enjoyed playing mind games with them. There were about 37 barracks to house inmates each was set up to hold 200 people but by the end of the war there where about 2,000 in each making about 74,000 inmates. Towards the end of the war they were killing 100’s of people a day. When the US troops arrives there was a room full of dead body’s that had been killed the day before. The troops made the local towns people go though and look at them so that they could see what was being done in their town. Going tough the camp and seeing the elaborate mind games and tricks to fool the outside world that they were looking after the inmates gives you a true incite in to the mind of a Narcissist. The memorial was set up in 1965. I would only recommend you going if you know what you are going to see. I felt very sorry for the large groups of school children I saw going though as it was clear a lot of them did not want to be there and the photos were very graphic. If my children did not want to go I would not make them go.
When we got back to our resort we meet the resort manager and he gave us a few drinks on the house.




Additional photos below
Photos: 167, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.304s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb