MUNICH THE CITY OF MASS TRANSIT


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
February 14th 2006
Published: February 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We took a train to Munich from Rome. It took about 10 hours but it was well worth it. Our train was sold out and jammed packed full of people trying to get to small ski towns that are in the Italian Alps. Once we got past the main ones it was smooth sailing from there. Trey and I had a whole cabin to ourselves the rest of the way to Munich, which was trough the Austrian Alps which are some of the most beautiful and fantastic scenery I have ever seen. We talked with a German lady for a while about different things and she told us that there had been 5 feet of snow that had dropped that week in Munich and the mountains and that was the reason there were so many people on the train. She also told us that it was about -10 degrees Celsius in Munich and there was still about 3 feet of snow. We were excited and couldn’t wait to get there. We checked in our hostel and decided to go get some nice hearty Bavarian food for dinner. I got the Snitzel. It was AWESOME!!!! Smothered in cheese and onions that had been drowned in butter, I ate until I was full. Also it came with potato dumplings that were to die for. The beer that we had with dinner was called Augestiener, very tasty. We walked around and went to a very small jazz club that a trio was playing at. They were decent but we were tired and so we went back to the hostel to get some sleep. The next day was brought to us by the amazing and perfect, and I don’t use that word lightly, Munich Transit System. We went all over the city and never missed a beat. The transit system was always on time and all over the place. We never had to go more that about 60 feet and we were where we wanted to be or at a point of mass transit. It was unbelievable. We started the day out by going to the Marianplatz and watching the glockenspiel play. The snow on the ground really made every thing better. After that we went to an area that had several museums that were set up in time periods. We went to the neuve and the modern museum. Both were fantastic and had lots of beautiful art. On our way to transit we bumped into a Richard Myer building that was incredible. We took the transit to the Olympic village and the BMW headquarters. There were a bunch of people on the subway going out the same way we were to go a soccer game between Munich and Nuremburg. Hooligans are some of the loudest fans I have ever seen. They were all carrying beers and the only thing the police did was pick up the beers that they left behind. There was the same amount of girls as there were guys. That was a fun train ride. When we got out to the Olympic village it was covered in snow. Trey and I decided to play in it a little and trey got a little wet. There were a lot of people sledding on a giant hill that was near the village and it was huge. We wanted to steal a sled from some kid and go sledding but our conscience wouldn’t let us. After that we took the transit to the large park in the heart of Munich. It is about twice the size of Central Park. Gorgeous scenes of snow and people were abundant. For dinner that night we went to Haufbranhaus. AMAZING!!!! The food was great, the people we sat with were a bunch of crazy aussies that managed to eventually get kicked out for dancing on tables, the polka band was great, and the beers came in liters. One of the best times I have ever had. Munich is one of my favorite cities and I hope to get back there very soon. The train ride home was a long one but we were pretty tired and sleep a lot of the way. Getting back to the apartment around 11:45 we ate dinner and watched Olympics highlights from Turino. Sleep never felt so earned.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



20th February 2006

I got your voicemail at 5am, buddy.
How's it hanging? What are you doing in Turino? I'm incredibly jealous of that hockey game, man. I hope you're cheering the Americans with the full force of the RET. It seems in these pictures, though, that your European peers are outdoing you in rowdiness. Little do they know. Little do they know. I expect to see you standing up on tables in future pictures. You are the pinnacle of American rowdiness, and the best we have to offer in that regard. You have a good time, you're loud, but you are not arrogant. You must prove to the European beerdrinkers (especially the Germans) that we can hang. You must pursue this mission with the determination that I've seen on top of Hamburger Barn tables. Remember that you are not only just drinking for a good time, you are drinking for your country!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb