Munich


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
June 26th 2006
Published: February 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

The ‘city gates’ into Muncih, which were a part of the original wall that surrounded the city during the time of the war still stand! We visited the church whose two huge towers were used as landmarks by the British during the World War when they were attempting to bomb Munich.

We walked through the English Gardens, visited the Hofbrauhaus - one of Munich’s famous beer halls, and one in which Hitler once delivered one of his infamous speeches - we visited an old art house, on whose roof mosaic swastikas still remain. This is a rarity, as the swastika is now illegal in germany. In this arthouse, commissioned by and built during the reign of hitler, we were also lucky enough to see an old plaque commemorating some of the biggest supporters of the Nazi cause. Names like Siemens, … and other prominent names - no wonder the plaque had been ripped off the front wall of the arthouse and unceremoniously thrown (hidden?) into the basement. I guess not many of these companies now would like to be associated with the Nazi movement of not so long ago…

Munich is a lovely, modern city. The people are extremely friendly (not to mention, quite attractive ), and they all speak English!! Quite well too, which was a pleasure. The Bavarians are very proud of who they are, and from what we could tell, are quite keen to shake off the stereotype that nazi germany has left behind.

Since neither foo nor I are big beer drinkers, I suppose the main attraction of this city was somewhat lost on us. We did however try the local food - brathwurst etc. sounds not so appetizing, but definitely worth trying. The germans love their pork!!! And they eat a LOT of meat. The servings were ginormous!!! Foo and I (who, by now, have managed to expand our stomachs sufficiently to be able to fit a fair amount in in one sitting) even had to share a main meal between us. And still struggled to finish!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

traditional German meal..traditional German meal..
traditional German meal..

elsie and i shared that huge slab of pork!!!!


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb