Day 3 - Lindau, on Lake Konstance


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Lindau
June 25th 2012
Published: June 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Phew, what a cracking couple of days,

The drives through the Black Forest High Roads were some of the best I have driven, over the weekend saw 100's of bikers meeting up for an annual get together at one of the highest points just south of Freundenstadt, they came from all directions and for several km's we had some fun together.

Last night saw us arrive at Todtmoos in the southern Black Forest, we arrived after a very near death experience on a left turning, my fault - I turned into an oncoming VW Golf and very nearly come a cropper, Jane was quite shook up and I can only think of what might 'have been', but after a few arm waving apologies we were on our way again. It was a quiet drive into Todtmoos.

Our hotel was 'La Quinta' at Todtmoos - an old forest commissioners residence going back to about 1875, now a 4* hotel - very nice, the host was great and the place was a real gem, in the evening we headed for a restaurant and again had a heartt Black Forest meal of meat and veg, all very statisfying, a few beers and a long walk back in the rain.

We woke up to bells and a fantastic breakfast, bade our farewells and headed off - only to get lost in the ludicrous mountain roads, 30 minutes later we were on our way to Schafhausen and to the Rhine Falls......

The Rhine falls were spectacular in their might and presence, around 600m3 od water per second (work it out - it's 'alot'😉.

From here we went to the IWC watch manufacturers in Schafhausen, I have always longed for a Pilots IWC Spitfire watch, but alas today was not to be the day, however the museum was closed (as every museum is on a Monday) but they let us in and we were the only visitors today, we were honoured. By chance I saw a watch I have always desired, it was a limited edition of 7000 world wide and in the case was number 900 or 7000 and again by pure chance we got talking to a kind chap about his 1974 MGBGT and we was invited into his inner offer (!)- unfortunatley I did not come away with my watch - but I now know where to find 'the watch'..... for IWC today, I thankyou for your wonderful and kind generousity.

We had lunch at Konstance overlooking the HUGE lake, we took the ferry across to Meersburg and now at Hotel Lindauer hof overlooking the harbour entrance. Soon off out for a bite to eat and a wander.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb