Castles In The Air


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Hohenschwangau
July 23rd 2011
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Neuschwanstein Castle Neuschwanstein Castle Neuschwanstein Castle

This is the most photographed castle in the world, and the number of tourists in Hohenschwangau is testament to that. I am grateful that we booked the tour of the castles before we left home to avoid the queues.
Geo: 47.5587, 10.7412

This morning we left Munich, and headed for Hohenschwangau, a little town which sits on the edge of Alpensee (a see is a lake).

Overlooking the town of Hohenschwangau are the Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castles. Neuschwanstein Castle was commenced in 1869 by the Bavarian King Ludwig II and was never quite completed. It was built and furnished in medieval style, but equipped with the latest technology of the time. Ludwig was known as Mad King Ludwig.

Hohenschwangau Castle was originally constructed in the 12th century, and was heavily damaged in the Napoleonic wars. King Ludwig's father, Maximilian II commenced the rebuilding of the castle in 1832 and it was completed in 1836.

Both castles are furnished lavishly and access is only via guided tour. It was a steep walk up to Neuschwanstein Castle, but the visit was well worth it. Hohenschwangau is only a short walk up the hill from where we are staying.

The hotel we had been booked into had a large tour group coming in, and thus they upgraded us to their premium accommodation in Hohenschwangau, the Hotel Lisl, allocating us a room on the top floor. What a beautiful hotel.

We had dinner here tonight
View of Waterfall and BridgeView of Waterfall and BridgeView of Waterfall and Bridge

This photo was taken from Neuschwanstein Castle looking back to the bridge where the first blog photo was taken.
and the restaurant is our new, new, new favourite. Unbelievable service and unbelievable food.

Hohenschwangau is a picturesque town that we will be sorry to leave tomorrow. Tomorrow we are headed for Friedrichschafen, on Konigsee. Friedrichschafen is the home of the Zeppelin Factory.

Jim and Kim


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

View of Alpensee and Hohenschwangau Castle View of Alpensee and Hohenschwangau Castle
View of Alpensee and Hohenschwangau Castle

Photo taken from Neuschwanstein Castle.
Hohenschwangau Castle Hohenschwangau Castle
Hohenschwangau Castle

Photo taken from the front of our Hotel after dinner last night. Notice the illuminated statue between the towers. It a giant white eagle, the former symbol of the Luftwaffe.
Hotel Lisl Hotel Lisl
Hotel Lisl

Photo of the Hotel where we are staying taken from Hohenschwangau Castle.


Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0992s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb