Garmisch-Partenkirchen: A walk in a mountain wonderland


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Garmisch-Partenkirchen
September 13th 2018
Published: September 13th 2018
Edit Blog Post

The weather is about to change so we had to make the most of the perfect weather for the mountain tops.

We got "Little Toot" at a nearby station to Kreuzeck-Alpspitzbahn for the cable car to the top of Osterfelderkopf (great words, eh?). Despite the fact that we've been on these cable ways many times, it never ceases to amaze me how they go up such steep faces and for such long distances just held on by a thick wire.This one took us up to 2100m to the inevitable restaurant, of course. At this location there is a AlpspiX viewing platform which is structured out over a 1000m drop! I could manage to look down from some of it but straight down below was all a bit much. However, the views to the close shear rock faces and out over to the main valley are spectacular.

There is a one and a half hour adventure trail to the next cableway to go down, which we took. It includes story boards and activities for kids to do or find along the way which is a great idea. The only problem was the track was steep and made of slippery metal so we were constantly looking for good footing holds. The trail took us alongside shear solid rock faces soaring to the tops. We found a picnic spot with a view for our picnic lunch before heading further down where the rocks changed to softer eroded limestone with drops to the valley below to one side. Hiking tracks are numerous whether along shingle slides, through forests, up rocky faces or on the service road. We were in our element and absolutely love these environments away from the madding crowds. Why do we come to Europe so often? Because we can do just this.

We managed to stretch out the trail to more than 2 hours by ambling along and taking it all in until we got to the gondola at Kreuzeck at 1700m. This one took us back down to the valley where we got the local green bus back to the town. The clouds were now gathering and a little later in the evening thunder started to roll high up in the mountains with rain a little later. We had timed it perfectly for a perfect day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The steep mountain rocks in the backgroundThe steep mountain rocks in the background
The steep mountain rocks in the background

Seen through a narrow cutting


Tot: 0.345s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb