Bavaria with Buz and Kathy


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Fussen
June 17th 1978
Published: June 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I replaced my original text for this entry, as I recently recieved Kathy's detailed report of the trip which I have drawn upon for this entry.

15 June 1978 Thursday. Buz and Kathy arrived in Frankfurt at 7:30 am; one hour earlier than we expected them. We met up about 9 am. Linda dropped me off at my office on her way home, as I had to work. Unfortunately for Buz and Kathy I wasn't able to take much leave for the time they were visiting us. They rested up to recuperate from the long flight. After dinner we walked through the village, and then played Dutch Blitz.

16 June 1978 Friday. I had a meeting in Trier, which is the oldest city in Germany and where the Roman Emperor Constantine was born. I dropped them off in the center of town before proceeding to the meeting. Although it rained off and on, they walked everywhere through the town and saw the Roman ruins of the city gate, the baths, formal gardens, and of course went to many stores. They enjoyed the pastry shops. I picked them up at 4 pm and we drove through Luxembourg to Luxembourg City. It was still drizzling a little, but it didn't stop us from walking around the city walls. On the way home we went through many picturesque little villages and stopped for supper at a Gasthaus. When we got home, we played cards for awhile.

17 June 1978 Saturday. We left the house at 9 am and drove in the direction of Bingen where we began tour of the castles and quaint towns on the Rhine River. We stopped at Bacharach and walked around a little even though it was raining rather hard. We ate lunch at one of the gasthauses. After lunch we decided that it was raining too hard to walk up to the castle in that town so we continued on. We stopped a little later and walked up to Hohenfelz Castle. There we met five girls from the States that were touring Europe. Back in town we stopped at a little pastry shop and ate kuchen.

At Coblenz we left the Rhine River and headed up the Mosel River. Vineyards covered the very steep hillsides on both banks of the river. We walked about 45 minutes through the forest on a very muddy path to Burg Eltz, occupied by the same family for over five hundred years. It had never been destroyed becasue it was so much out of the way. We had a great tour of almosrt every room in the castle. After our long walk back to the car, we ate at a gasthaus in a nearby village; then drove home and went to bed.

18 June 1978 Sunday. We just toured the local area, and upon return home walked up through the farmers' fields picking wildflowers. After supper we played more table games.

19 - 23 June 1978 Monday through Friday. As I wasn't able to take leave, Buz and Kathy took the train to Paris. They were not impressed, mainly because both became sick; Buz with a bad cold, and Kathy with an alergic skin reaction. They returned early, so took them to Landstuhl Army Hospital where they were diagnosed and given medicine. The rest of the week they recuperated.

24 June 1978 Saturday. This would be a whirlwind tour of Switzerland, Austria, and Bavaria as they had to catch a flight from Frankfurt on the following Tuesday early afternoon. So we drove to the Black Forest, where they bought a couple souveniers, and then to the western end of Lake Constance, where we drove along the southern shore which is Switzerland. We stopped for pictures, but continued into Austria where we had to cross a high pass that was still snow covered. We stopped for a snowball fight. The it was on to Fusen and the small village at the base of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschangau Castles, the later where crazy King Ludwig was born and the former which he built as his fairy tale castle. We checked into a gasthaus and then walked around the lake before having dinner. After we played Dutch Blitz. Buz won for the first time.

25 June 1978 Sunday. After breakfast, Buz and Kathy walked in the rain to Neuschwanstein Castle while Linda and I went to Hohenschwangau Castle, which we hadn't seen before. We both enjoed our tours. We left by mid morning and passed through a bit of Austria before entering Germany at Garmisch. We took the train to the top of the Zugspitz, the highest mountain in Germany, the peak of which is also the Austrian border. The snow was falling so we only saw scenery on the way down. We stopped at the Armed Forces Recreation Center for a late lunch and then proceeded up the Romantic Route to Nordligen, where we spent the night in a gasthaus. After dinner we walked around the town.

26 June 1978 Monday. We continued along the Romantic Route to Rothenberg of der Tauber. We went to our friends, the farmer who left Czechoslovakia after WWII, and they had two rooms for us. It was good to talk to them again. We spent the rest of the day walking around the city to include the city walls. We visited the Torture Museum which was located in a large house built in 1200. We shopped too, but thought the prices were too high so didn't buy anything. After a great dinner in a gasthaus, we returned to the farm for conversation. This was our last night together.

27 June 1978 Tuesday. We left for Frankfurt right after breakfast, where we dropped them off at the airport. I returned to work, although a couple hours late.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

View from Neuschwanstein Castle in winterView from Neuschwanstein Castle in winter
View from Neuschwanstein Castle in winter

This picture were taken on a later trip.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb