FUSSEN and it’s fairytale castles


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Fussen
June 14th 2010
Published: July 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

First of all - the answer to our question from the Munich blog... Who said “ I could live on beer, pretzels and sausages forever!!!!” It was Lysh!! This coming from the girl who couldn’t even stand the smell of beer before we left!

From Munich we drove on the A95 (yes the autobahn!) to Fussen. As you probably know there is no speed limit on the autobahns. We’ll just say that all 6 gears of our hire care were well used! Off the autobahn we passed some beautiful mountains, green countryside and lots of cows, forests (we saw a cute squirrel), rivers, a huge lake (Froggensee) and lots of little towns. We loved seeing all of the maypoles in the towns. Fussen is at the end of the romantic road (this name was given by the German travel agents in the 50’s). Time didn’t allow us to drive the whole way but we got to drive the end stretch as we came into Fussen. Doing the whole trip is on the list for next time!

Fussen is best known for its castles - the Neuchwanstein Castle and the Hohenschwangau Castle. The castles are in a lovely setting at the base of the alps. King Ludwig II grew up in the Hohenschwangau Castle and later built the Neuchwanstein Castle nearby. He was Germany’s youngest king and was very eccentric! He had a dream to build a brand new castle that looked like no other. He sure succeeded as you can tell from the photos! It really is a fairytale castle and was the inspiration for Disney’s sleeping beauty castle. We leant a little about Ludwig and how he died under very mysterious circumstances. We went for a little walk and over the Marienbrucke Bridge which spans Pollat Gorge and gives a fantastic view of the castle.

We also saw a nice waterfall out of town in Fussen and went into a beautiful cathedral but other than that I don’t think there is much else to say about Fussen. The castles are definitely the highlight!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.354s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb