Concentration Camp


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Dachau
April 6th 2007
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Entrance01 Entrance01 Entrance

The entrance to the concentration camp.
Geo: 48.2549, 11.4409

This morning Jen and I went on a guided tour to Dachau Concentration Camp. It is located in Dachau, about 20 mins north-west of Munich. This was the first major concentration camp established by the Nazis. It was a blueprint for the many future camps to come throughout Europe. Hundreds of thousands of people passed through the gates titled 'Freedom through Work', originating from over 34 different nations. It was very interesting. There was a building full of photos taken during the life of the camp, very real and shocking. This visit today was so much easier, as we had both been to Auschwitz- which was very depressing compared to Dachau. Our tour lasted for about 2 hours and was very informative. We then caught the train back to Munich in search of a beer house for some lunch.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

02 Residence02 Residence
02 Residence

The building where the Nazi's lived.
03 End of the line03 End of the line
03 End of the line

The end of the train line for many of the prisoners.
04 Entrance sign04 Entrance sign
04 Entrance sign

The entrance sign that translates to 'Freedom through Work', very far from the truth. This is not the original sign, it was stolen after the liberation of the camp on April the 29th, 1945.
05 Courtyard05 Courtyard
05 Courtyard

Part of the courtyard where twice daily role call was taken and a barrack that has been rebuilt to give visitors an idea of what their conditions were.
06 Barracks06 Barracks
06 Barracks

The start of the barracks, there was once two rows, 17 barracks in each. During peak times the barracks were severley overcrowded.
07 Security07 Security
07 Security

The security fence that tried to escape through.
08 Exit08 Exit
08 Exit

Another way in and out of the camp and one of the many watchtowers.
09 Bunks09 Bunks
09 Bunks

Beds that have been made to show what the bedding situation was like. In each of these single beds there were up to four people sleeping each night.
10 Memorial10 Memorial
10 Memorial

The memorial showing prisoners trying to escape the electric fences.
11 Colours11 Colours
11 Colours

These shapes and colours represent what was sewn onto the uniform of the prisoners to classify them into groups, such as religions, ethnic groups etc.
12 Escaping12 Escaping
12 Escaping

The memorial representing all the prisoners that tried to escape over the electric fence.
13 Memorial Fence13 Memorial Fence
13 Memorial Fence

The empty fence representing the electric fence and further along the escaping prisoners.
14 Ovens14 Ovens
14 Ovens

Some of the ovens in the newer crematorium that was built to burn more bodies and much larger than the older one.
15 New15 New
15 New

The new crematorium, which also contained a gas chamber, although there is no evidence that people were actually gassed here.
16 Site16 Site
16 Site

The site of the former barracks.
17 Looking out17 Looking out
17 Looking out

Looking out towards the barracks from behind the memorial.
18 Never again18 Never again
18 Never again

Memorial to the victims of Dachau.


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb