South almost to the Austrian border to the beautiful Berchtesgaden area of the Bavarian Alps.


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Bischofswiesen
June 18th 2017
Published: June 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Driving day again today, heading ever southward to the German Bavarian Alps at Bischofswiesen near Berchtesgaden and very close to the Austrian border at Salzburg.

The guide book said this is one of the most beautiful areas in Germany so off we go to find out if that is true..

The drive took several hours but the countryside was ever changing and it was a really enjoyable trip. No motorways just well surfaced roads and very neat countryside. Some very pretty churches and also a surprising number of traditional buildings with solar panels All over the roof. We think they look sooooo much better than wind turbines (not seen a single one of those all day).

We watched the crops change from one area to another. We started to see some unusual plants, thought they were vines at first but these were long and thin and trained upwards. We decided they were hops and handy Google images has just confirmed that they are indeed hops very much needed of course for the Bavarian beer industry.

The road we took was the 299 for at least 3/4s of the way, getting quite close to Munich (Munchen) but not near enough to be impacted by any traffic. Of course this is a Sunday so no trucks just leisure traffic. As the day went on this got heavier and heavier. We started with a few push bikes, then a few motorbikes but the last several miles of the drive were busy with cars, caravans and motorhomes as well. All out enjoying the lovely weather and the very pretty countryside.

Was a little worried as to whether the site might be full this being such a popular area and the site is ACSI. We had tried to reserve but not managed it.

The last hour of the drive was towards the rising peaks of the Austrian Alps. Very scenic and especially as some are still snow capped.

Relief at the campsite to find there was a free pitch but really the site is pretty full so we were lucky. Due to be very hot tomorrow so we are happy to have a half shady pitch. Only thing needed to make the site perfect would be a swimming pool but there is a crystal clear stream I can paddle in if desperate for a cool.

Campsite is Winkl-Landthal and excellent. Booking is definitely recommended.

There is lots and lots to do from here and our 2 days are going to be busy. Tomorrow we will take the bus to Berchtesgaden and from there get the special bus to the Eagle’s Nest (Kehlsteinhaus) which is pretty close by so a must to visit. ’ We have a discount card from the campsite for bus use so will have a change from the scooter for the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb