The Romance Road and the Eagle's Nest


Advertisement
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Berchtesgaden
September 23rd 2012
Published: September 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a wonderful time in Berlin, we headed off in search of new adventures in Germany. Picture a nation with over 80 million people in an area the size of Montana and you’ve got a quick reference for size of it all. But of course there lies much diversity in this land and we soon found this out. We are excited by train travel. This is most likely because there are so few to travel on in the St... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




23rd September 2012

I know it's not funny, but.....
I had to laugh picturing the 2 of you trying to pay your parking ticket. Those little things add spice to a trip. It is great to see that the weather is nice. Enjoy your next stop. It has been an amazing trip to read and follow so far.
24th September 2012

Hi Brendan,
One nice lady in one of the banks suggested we rip it up and move on. We explained we wanted to be responsible..but it was getting frustrating.
23rd September 2012

Great pics- as usual!
Love your journey thru Germany. I am sending this one to my son as he teaches German to Middle School students and the pics are great. I've spent lots of time in Hamburg but had only a brief 2 day visit to Munich and hope to get back there some day.Carolyn
24th September 2012

Hello Carolyn,
I'm not sure how much interest this will hold for middle school but no worries. We do love all the flowers and the well cared for streets. Thanks for writing.
23rd September 2012
Brutus at the Eagle's Nest

Brutus continues to enjoy himself
Great to see that he is having as good a time as his owners!
24th September 2012
Brutus at the Eagle's Nest

Brutus is a star!
He has become fairly well traveled and has taken to the lifestyle like a pro. I'm sure he'll be sited again soon.
23rd September 2012

Fab;-)
Love the photos and writing as usual;-) are you heading towards Poland? We can give you some tips and hints especially Krakow and around if you like;-) There are some stunning historical trails over there that most tourist/travellers don't know about. safe travels, B&T
24th September 2012

Send us those ideas
We are not heading to Poland on this trip but may come back this way next fall so please send those tips and we will put it in our hold file. Any info from you would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for following along and your messages are welcome.
23rd September 2012

Great adventures, photos and memories!
Bravo to you for climbing the church spires--your photos from there were excellent! Doing this and walking the city walls is such a great way to orient yourselves. And how brave of you to drive the Romantic Road and deal with parking tickets--trickier than just taking buses. Happy to see that you\'re in beer heaven, and now that you\'ve tasted King Ludwig\'s beer, I do hope you\'ll visit his castles! Gute reise!
24th September 2012

Castles, churches and refreshments
Our time to visit all the castles in Germany has come to a close but we may make it back this way next fall and will add more to the list at that time. Thanks for writing. Having a very nice time.
23rd September 2012

Wunderbar!
Great pictures, looked like great weather, great food, great architecture, great time! I am so enjoying your travels.
24th September 2012

Hello Billie,
So great hearing from you. Wish you were here with us. I know you've traveled these grounds many years ago but it would be great if you were here.
24th September 2012

Hi Merry Jo
I always enjoy keeping up with your travels. So much fun. I was in Germany too and loved it. I can't wait to see where you go next.
24th September 2012

Hi Pam,
So wonderful to hear from you and glad to hear you are following along. Having a fantastic time! Thanks for the message.
24th September 2012
Brew with a view

Scene + Beer = Delicious View! Sorry to hear about the parking ticket and bitter lemon, but glad you finally got it sorted.
24th September 2012
Brew with a view

Hello Michelle,
The scenery has been magnificent and Dave is in beer heaven. The German's certainly know what they are doing with the hops and grains. Masters of brewing. Minor bump with the parking ticket but all is well now.
24th September 2012

Kelsteinhouse
Hi Dave and Merry Jo, Sorry about the spelling of the Kelsteinhouse, (The eagles Nest) we just love Austria. Great Blog, Its funny, where the bus terminus is, is where Herman Goring's house was, I thing Martin Borman, (Hilters Architect) put the Kelsteinhouse where it was, just to over look, his other Nazi neighbour. The view over obersalzburg is stunning, shame Hilter apparantly only went up the wagles nest only 5 times as he didn't like heights amazing. all those poor people who died,building that project. safe travels. Kangaroojack
24th September 2012

Those boys had a great view
So good to hear from you. We have not been to Austrai but maybe next year. This is a beautiful and interesting part of the world.
24th September 2012

Those boys had a great view
So good to hear from you. We have not been to Austrai but maybe next year. This is a beautiful and interesting part of the world.
24th September 2012

memories!
Hi Folks- how breath taking! We loved driving on the romantic road!
24th September 2012

So many amazing little towns
Having a great time. great hearing from you again. The romance road is picturesque.
24th September 2012

Hi there
Like Brendan, I was laughing too. I'm absolutely clueless about those things -- one reason why I'm not keen about driving on my own. But hey, you guys are having a lovely time. And enjoying good weather too! Hope you also get good weather when you come to this corner of the world.
24th September 2012

Hello Liliram,
Yes, driving in foreign countries can be stressful to figure out the rules and signs. We prefer not to drive but sometimes we make an exception.
24th September 2012

tea house
The tea house was destroyed and the Berghof (his main house) .You meant the Kehlsteinhaus (referred by GIs as eagles nest). Hitler attended the eagles nest only one time (for marriage of eva braun's sister) because of vertigo.
25th September 2012

Thank you
I will go in and make that correction. I like accuracy.
25th September 2012

Moments like these..
Had a good chuckle about the parking ticket - at times like these, when you can laugh about it, makes travelling all the more worth it. Visiting Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial must have been interesting, but as you say, sombre and extremely sad.
25th September 2012

You just have to laugh
Thank you for the comments. Appreciate you reading. Germany has been very interesting.
25th September 2012
Brew with a view

DRINKING IN THE VIEW
Visiting beautiful cities & towns, serene views...yet other places that remind one that only 60 years ago...it was a very very different. Now seems a great time to visit.
25th September 2012
Brew with a view

Indeed things have changed
It is tough thinking about all the inhumane treatment of years gone by.
4th December 2012

I'm finally getting around to reading your blogs published right after we left for the South Pacific.
You blog brought back so many memories of the 7 years we lived in Germany. You visited all of our favorite places! Our favorite of all was Rothenburg where we stayed often with a farmer and his wife. They had been nobility in the Sudentenland, but had to flee west after the war. I climbed the Ulm Cathedral at the age of 30...so you did very well doing this in your 50's. As for tickets, several weeks after returning to Colorado we received a speeding ticket from new Zealand. The radar just takes pictures of cars going by over the speed limit and then send a ticket. It was NZ$80. This would never happen in the States!
4th December 2012

Speeding tickets
I think it is an international racket. When we got back from Italy a few years ago and we got a bill for a parking ticket in Italy. Glad you are reading Germany. We will be reading yours soon also. The end of our trip is very close.

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 22; qc: 38; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb