Bamberg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Bamberg
June 13th 2015
Published: June 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

This morning we took buses into Bamberg and hiked up to ABC...Another Bloody Church! It is the Bamberger Dom of St. Peter and St. George which combines the Romanesque style with the gothic style. Pope Clement II (the only pope buried in Germany) is buried there along with King Henry II and his wife Cunigunde. It was beautiful along with another fairy tale looking city.

We climbed down a quite steep staircase and made it into town. We had a smoky beer (Rauchbier) that tastes a bit like drinking a ham, but it was really quite delish! Bamberg was the second city to introduce book-printing and the town's history goes back to 902 A.D.

Later in the evening, on the ship, we had drinks and games and dancing. Afterwards we went up to the sundeck for drinks. We've been going through a significant amount of locks on rivers (66 total for the trip) and last night we got to stay on the deck as we passed under a bridge into a lock. The bridge was so low, that they had to collapse the captain's bridge and we actually could touch the bridge if we wanted to although it was pretty gross with stalactites and muck growing on it. We then found ourselves at the low end of the lock and the walls were at least 50 feet above us as the water rushed in to raise our boat to meet the next channel. It was such a cool experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Symbol for BrewersSymbol for Brewers
Symbol for Brewers

The two triangles signal fire and water. One triangle points up for fire and the other down for water, such as in the rivers.


Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb