Triberg Falls


Advertisement
Published: April 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast was included again so we made sure to eat well before we set off up the hill to Triberg Falls. The path is STEEP!! Although this is really a bit of a tourist town, it is still really lovely and the falls are definitely worth the visit. They cascade down four large sections, falling about 160m altogether. This town also boasts the first hydro-electric power turbines in Germany and consequentially had electric street lights in the late 1800’s well before any other towns.

After wearing ourselves out climbing the hill, we came back down to the playground at the bottom. It had a really great timber seat where parents can watch the kids playing. Then it was into town to see the local specialty - Cuckoo clocks. There are some truly amazing carved clocks, from the tiny and intricate to huge and very expensive, some with cuckoos, some with dancers or water wheels, and even some beautiful timber grandfather clocks. We also found a great second hand shop where both Mel and Em got some new warm coats for just a couple of euro each.

Lunch was on the top floor balcony of our room and there happened to be a wedding going on across the road. The bride and groom were coming out of the chapel and heading off in their blue cadilac with much bell ringing and horn blowing. Then it was back for a walk in the forest to find the local squirrels. We were not successful but we did find another playground for Em which she again didn’t want to leave. Afterward, we walked around town while Em slept in the carrier looking at the wood carvings and other local shops. She woke up just in time for black forest cake and chocolate cake for arvternoon tea. What else do you have in the Black Forest! Look out though – you don’t want to drive after a piece of this cake as they are pretty liberal with the kirsch and the brandy cream 😊

A bit of a rest before dinner and it was time to educate Dad about what actually happens in the Disney movie Frozen. Having now seen all the relevant bits and learning all the songs, I can properly join in the games when Em wants to play ‘Ana and Elsa’.

Dinner at Pinochios last night was so good that we went back and discovered that they make the best cheese pasta in the world! If you are ever there, go for the Rigatoni Fromaggi and you’ll not regret it.

Later, we walked up to falls area to see it all lit up at night. As it is a little before tourist season kicks off, there was no one else around and it was really quite eerie. Apparently at Christmas there are 1 million lights strung up around the trees and pathways of the falls area. It is all covered in snow then of course so it really would become a winter wonderland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb