Hansel and Gretel (L&D) lose the breadcrumb trail


Advertisement
Published: June 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

There was a major event going through Titisee all morning. Thousands of cyclists (over 4000) on mountain bikes passed through for several hours competing in the Black Forest Ultra Bike Marathon. There are five classes of race ranging from 117kms and 3150m in height to 43kms and 900m in height. The route includes both road and off road with various categories for age groups and teams. They were certainly flying as they hit the downhill into Titisee. Fortunately the streets had been shut off for the race or pedestrians would have come off second best. All of this coincided with buses and trains disgorging hundreds of day visitors so the town soon turned into crowded streets of people wandering, shopping, eating or drinking. The more energetic ones set off on hiking trails of which there is huge choice.

We checked out the town to see what was where and visited the Information Office so we could plan our week which hopefully will be a lot quieter away from the weekend traffic. We settled for the Titisee Rundweg (around the lake trail) which would take in the hills and back along the lake. Somehow, like Hansel and Gretel we lost the trail and ended up doing another 3 or 4 kms to get back onto the proper one. Unfortunately the error added in a lot more uphil walking, without any lake views but we did end up back at the lake for the last 3kms - hot and bothered.

For readers who wonder about the reference to Hansel and Gretel and breadcrumbs, refer to the folk tale where these two children get lost in the forest. They laid a trail of breadcrumbs so they wouldn't get lost but the birds ate them up. Quite a gruesome story really but I digress, of course we didn't lay breadcrumbs but maybe it would have helped.............. 😊

Our apartment is only 100m from the lake and it must be the only place in Titisee that is alone and surrounded by grassland, giving a peaceful setting despite the business not far away.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb